Wheelies :-)

Old April 16th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Edward[_2_]

Default Wheelies :-)

I fee a bit daft asking and perhaps a bit old now but when I was a young lad
I always wondered how people did wheelies, there was this kid down the road
who was forever wheelieing and I always thought wow that was cool! If I
had a bike as a kid (1-2-3 boohoo) I would've given it a go. 25 years later
I think maybe on a quiet morning down a park I could kill a morning or
myself possibly.

Oh yes how the hell do you do it :-s .... pah I'm too old for that lark. I
must stop straying over the x-treme sports channels they give me silly
ideas, next I will want to do the superman lol.

Actually I saw something a bit scary a few months ago a motorbike looked
very sporty and pwoerful went on the wrong sideo f the road and wheelied
past everyone stuck in the traffic, made me stick my head dout to watch
while most people were shaking there head in dis-belief.

go on then tell me how ... if I break any bones I'm suing you.

Old April 16th 07, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom

Edward wrote:
I fee a bit daft asking

snip
go on then tell me how ... if I break any bones I'm suing you.

It's a question of brake and pedal control. Keep a finger over the rear
brake.

Find a big clear space (grass might help your confidence, but an empty car
park is easier)

Lowish gear - push hard with your weaker leg as you pull back on the bars
the front will come up, if it feels like it's going over backwards keep
pedaling but just "dab" your back brake. Keep pedaling and "dabbing", don't
worry about steering, that just happens naturally.

Then practice, practice, practice.

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Old April 16th 07, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

Coyoteboy writes:

Tom proclaimed to uk.rec.cycling ...

Lowish gear - push hard with your weaker leg as you pull back on the
bars
the front will come up, if it feels like it's going over backwards keep
pedaling but just "dab" your back brake. Keep pedaling and "dabbing",
don't worry about steering, that just happens naturally.

I find it easier to drag the rear brake very lightly to start with, so that
when you're up you dont have to dab, im more uncontrolled with my dabbing
and it makes it very jerky- not good for my balance. Just another take on
it, everyone finds their own way.

The fact that we all had bikes with coaster brakes probably explains why
wheelies didn't feature much in my childhood. I think I will have to try
this now!

Roos
Old April 17th 07, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Get someone to hold the front wheel up. Get your balance first.

Sue the rest of the buggers.

Old April 17th 07, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilD

On Apr 16, 8:53 pm, "Edward" wrote:
Oh yes how the hell do you do it :-s .... pah I'm too old for that lark. I
must stop straying over the x-treme sports channels they give me silly
ideas, next I will want to do the superman lol.

Actually I saw something a bit scary a few months ago a motorbike looked
very sporty and pwoerful went on the wrong sideo f the road and wheelied
past everyone stuck in the traffic, made me stick my head dout to watch
while most people were shaking there head in dis-belief.

go on then tell me how ... if I break any bones I'm suing you.

A word of caution.

When I was MUCH younger (about 9? 10?) I pulled a wheelie on a child's
bike and pulled the whole front off. There is no delicate way of
landing with two separate portions of bike!

Check the welds first.

PhilD

Old April 17th 07, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Edward wrote:

go on then tell me how ... if I break any bones I'm suing you.

into low gear, push down on the lead pedal while pulling up on the bars,
keep your weight to the rear. To make life easier, take a short
wheelbase bike with an upright riding position: the Brompton is *ideal*
(when told "bet you can't do a wheelie on that!" by a Yoof as I sat by a
red light, I thought "Hah!, I'll prove him wrong!", and was so
successful that I actually ended up standing behind the vertical bike...)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 17th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:45:54 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Edward wrote:

go on then tell me how ... if I break any bones I'm suing you.

into low gear, push down on the lead pedal while pulling up on the bars,
keep your weight to the rear. To make life easier, take a short
wheelbase bike with an upright riding position: the Brompton is *ideal*
(when told "bet you can't do a wheelie on that!" by a Yoof as I sat by a
red light, I thought "Hah!, I'll prove him wrong!", and was so
successful that I actually ended up standing behind the vertical bike...)

I can wheelie (sort of) our Pino. Only when riding it solo though.

Tim
Old April 17th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Tim Hall twisted the electrons to say:
I can wheelie (sort of) our Pino. Only when riding it solo though.

I'm sure any potential stokers are pleased about that last part. Though
I suppose it would be a good way of getting rid of any stokers who'd
annoyed you (the cager behind you might be, err, impressed as well!).
Old April 17th 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Tim Hall twisted the electrons to say:
I can wheelie (sort of) our Pino. Only when riding it solo though.

I'm sure any potential stokers are pleased about that last part. Though
I suppose it would be a good way of getting rid of any stokers who'd
annoyed you (the cager behind you might be, err, impressed as well!).

The Pino looks more like it should have a sort of James Bond
Thunderball-esque launch system where the stoker is shot forwards,
possibly after deploying glider wings! ;-)

Pete.

Wheelies MERCYME Unicycling 23 April 23rd 05 03:44 AM
Any experiences with Wheelies? text.news.ntlworld.com UK 4 August 27th 03 12:04 PM