TdF and recumbents

Old July 29th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default TdF and recumbents

Carl Sundquist wrote:

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal.

Now _that's_ mixing apples and oranges.

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

Who cares? The above point was "no recumbent", no distinction about
fairings or otherwise, simply *no* recumbent and a flat course
specified. And of course faired uprights are welcome to take part in
IHPVA records but nobody sees much point. I guess because they're not
so quick...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 29th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Jul 29, 7:15 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal. At best, it is possible that a
recumbent will
be only ever so slightly faster than an upright on the flats, but
even that
is debatable. What is not debatable is how freaking slow they are
climbing
hills, even small hills. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

I guess that sound is the my point whizzing over you head

Ed was never one to let things like mere facts confuse him...

However, if he bothered to look at the UCI hour record and the IHPVA
hour record he'd find a lot more than 20% difference.

Pete.

Now _that's_ mixing apples and oranges.

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

I think it was 29.76 Miles, i saw a youtube of it today.
Which seems a little slower than the UCI hour record, but
maybe that is because the rider is not the same?
Old July 29th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 29, 7:15*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in ...
On Jul 27, 11:01 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:

aka Andres Muro wrote:

There are a couple of guys that ride recumbents and show up to up to
our weekend rides occasionally. One of them would never be able to
keep up with our group and the other could on regular bikes. With
recumbents they keep up with the group without problems. One of them
takes pulls at 25+ mile per hour without braking a sweat. On flats,
recumbents transform average cyclists into animals. The lower the
recumbents the faster these guys become. One has a very low racing
recumbents and he built an aero contraption in the back. He goes
really fast in that apparatus and because he is very low, it is hard
to draft him. He makes a great training partner. It's sort of like
motor pacing. On hills, he slows down quite a bit though. It is not
just the weight. His racing recumbent is not that heavy.

For the sake of argument, let us assume that that a particular recumbent
is 20% faster on the flats and equal on the climbs to the group members'
uprights. If the recumbent rider is just the equal of the group on the
flats, that means he is a considerably weaker rider, so it is no wonder
he gets dropped on the hills. What is being demonstrated is not the poor
climbing ability of the recumbent (which is typically the false
conclusion made by the upright riders), but rather its performance
advantage on flatter terrain.

"For the sake of argument"..boy, that speaks volumes.........

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal. At best, it is possible that a recumbent will
be only ever so slightly faster than an upright on the flats, but even that
is debatable. sWhat is not debatable is how freaking slow they are climbing
hills, even small hills. Case closed as far as I am concerned.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Recumbents are surprisingly faster on flats. There was an average
cyclist that got a recumbent and he is always taking pulls at the
front. He can easily motor at 25+ miles an hour. It is tough to draft
him cause he offers little wind protection. On hills this dude is
slow, but not amazingly slower.

There is a group of us that rides fairly fast. We go out every weekend
and go for 50-70 miles and we average over 20 miles an hour with 27-29
mile efforts along the way. There are more leisurely groups that ride
on weekends. A few of the guys in the leisure group got recumbents. On
occasions they cross groups and ride with us. The can hang on notably
well. In the past, they wouldn't have been able to do so.

For fast pack riding, there are some disadvantages to recumbents over
uprights. Uprights are more maneuverable and can accelerate faster.
also when we get in a rotating paceline, recumbents cannot rotate.
They cannot sprint. However, once they get going, they can motor fast.
The guys that ride on recumbents usually stay in the back and go to
the front to take pulls. On sprints and attacks, they may get dropped,
however, when the pack slows down, they can quickly get back.

I have never ridden a recumbent nor I intend to for now. I like my
bikes way too much. However, they are useful and can move very fast,
especially if you are riding distance alone.

I think that recumbents are enjoyable and serve a purpose. They are
not better or worse than upright bikes. It's kind of comparing a road
bike and an mtb. The road bike will do better on the road and the mtb
will do better off road. having recumbents competing against road
bikes will have varied results depending on the course that you set,
the conditions, etc. Who cares. Ride what you like.

Andres
Old July 29th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:

[...]

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. I'd say that the unfaired recumbent hour
record is pretty darn remarkable. Did any noteworthy rider do it? Also,
remember that there are two different UCI hour records: one for traditional
bikes at slighly over 50 kph and the "absolute" record at slightly over 56
kph. Both were unfaired, but the traditional bike requires use of only drop
handlebars and a minimum of 24 spoked, regular depth rims, and no aero
helmet, perhaps no aero shoe covers either. The absolute record allowed disk
wheels, aero handlebars, and aero helmets.

Old July 29th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

Carl Sundquist wrote:

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal.

Now _that's_ mixing apples and oranges.

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

Who cares? The above point was "no recumbent", no distinction about
fairings or otherwise, simply *no* recumbent and a flat course
specified. And of course faired uprights are welcome to take part in
IHPVA records but nobody sees much point. I guess because they're not
so quick...

Pete.

I'll make you a bet then: simultaenous hour record time trials for unfaired
UCI bikes and for fully faired recumbents. During a hurricane.

Old July 29th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:40:48 +0100, Peter Clinch

Not arguing, just curious--is there an explanation for why can you
"honk" on a normal upright, but not on a Moulton, or is it just an
observation?

You /can/ "dance on the pedals" but the suspension forks will bounce,
wasting a lot of your energy. The only time I've ridden a Moulton is
since I took to spinning anyway, but a recentish test of the AM Vitesse
in "Cycle" (CTC magazine) confirmed they're not really very good ridden
hard out of the saddle. Which wouldn't bother me now, but would have
annoyed me enormously 15 years ago!

Pete.

Dear Peter,

Thanks--I forgot about the Moulton fore and aft suspension.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 29th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Carl Sundquist wrote:

[...]

I dont know, look him up

Also, remember that there are two different UCI hour records: one for
traditional bikes at slighly over 50 kph and the "absolute" record at
slightly over 56 kph. Both were unfaired, but the traditional bike
requires use of only drop handlebars and a minimum of 24 spoked, regular
depth rims, and no aero helmet, perhaps no aero shoe covers either. The
absolute record allowed disk wheels, aero handlebars, and aero helmets.

i think the recumbent bike used disc wheels as well.
Old July 29th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

I think it was 29.76 Miles, i saw a youtube of it today.
Which seems a little slower than the UCI hour record, but
maybe that is because the rider is not the same?

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. I'd say that the unfaired recumbent hour
record is pretty darn remarkable. Did any noteworthy rider do it?

I dont know, look him up

I looked on the IHPVA site before I asked the question. The only
(recognized) hour record that looks to possibly be an unfaired recumbent was
set in 1938 at 31.4 mph. Quite a remarkable time if that was the case. Help
me out here a little bit.

Old July 29th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

Carl Sundquist wrote:

There is no recumbent that is 20% faster than an upright on the flats
everything else being equal.

Now _that's_ mixing apples and oranges.

What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?

Who cares? The above point was "no recumbent", no distinction about
fairings or otherwise, simply *no* recumbent and a flat course
specified. And of course faired uprights are welcome to take part in
IHPVA records but nobody sees much point. I guess because they're not
so quick...

If you can specify a flat course, I can specify unfaired recumbents.

TdF and recumbents Pat[_13_] Techniques 237 August 6th 08 02:50 AM
Recumbents? SuperDave Recumbent Biking 1 January 16th 07 07:32 AM
Know Your Recumbents! DougC General 1 December 19th 06 11:55 AM
Any used recumbents in DFW? Tracer Recumbent Biking 10 August 23rd 05 11:23 PM
recumbents chrism Australia 4 September 16th 04 02:25 PM