Flipping a chain ring on a granny gear to foil developing chain suck

Old December 23rd 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fritz

Default Flipping a chain ring on a granny gear to foil developing chain suck

I started to experience chainsuck on the granny gear of my triple
ultegra nine speed crank.

So, I flipped the granny gear over and installed washers between crank
and ring to get the spacing right.

I have not ridden the bike yet with this repair so I would appreciate
any thoughts pro or con. I would hate to make things worse.

Thanks!

Old December 23rd 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 22, 9:50*pm, Fritz wrote:
I started to experience chainsuck on *the granny gear of my triple
ultegra nine speed crank. *

So, I flipped the granny gear over and installed washers between crank
and ring to get the spacing right. *

I have not ridden the bike yet with this repair so I would appreciate
any thoughts pro or con. *I would hate to make things worse. *

If the cause is a fairly fresh chain on a worn ring--you should be
good to go. Ride and see how you fare. ;-)
Old December 23rd 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 23 Dec, 03:50, Fritz wrote:
I started to experience chainsuck on *the granny gear of my triple
ultegra nine speed crank. *

So, I flipped the granny gear over and installed washers between crank
and ring to get the spacing right. *

I have not ridden the bike yet with this repair so I would appreciate
any thoughts pro or con. *I would hate to make things worse. *

Should be good. One thing is always to keep your chainring fixings
together, do not mix them up. If you end up mixing nut and bolt then
there is the possibility of a slight mismatch (at least there used to
be) and the risk of seperation on the road increases. Use threadlock
or wire them (until you are certain they remain secure) so you dont
lose the fixings.
Old December 23rd 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:47:43 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:

One thing is always to keep your chainring fixings
together, do not mix them up. If you end up mixing nut and bolt then
there is the possibility of a slight mismatch

This is nonsense.

Screw threads were one of the first targets of part interchangability, and
claiming the above is alarmism of beamian nature.
Old December 23rd 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Dec 23, 6:01*am, _
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:47:43 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:
One thing is always to keep your chainring fixings
together, do not mix them up. *If you end up mixing nut and bolt then
there is the possibility of a slight mismatch

This is nonsense.

Screw threads were one of the first targets of part interchangability, and
claiming the above is alarmism of beamian nature.

On the other hand, I experienced chain suck on a ride last summer and
when I stopped I found that one of the chainring bolts was loose and
two adjacents were gone completely. Boy, had I gotten lazy about the
pre-ride checks. This was on a 98-ish Campy 9-spd Record crank. Not
too far from home so I got away with the price of new bolts, a lesson
I won't forget and some paint damage on the chainstay (yea, steel!) As
regards the OP, a wire loop through the bolts sound like a great idea
if I was a tourist and a looong way from anyplace, like in Namibia or
Utah. No different than the wires I've seen used on castellated nuts
in sundry bearing assemblies. But, if you're all lycra-ed up, doing
something like that would certainly break your mojo.

sa
Old December 23rd 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 23 Dec, 13:01, _
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:47:43 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:
One thing is always to keep your chainring fixings
together, do not mix them up. *If you end up mixing nut and bolt then
there is the possibility of a slight mismatch

This is nonsense.

Screw threads were one of the first targets of part interchangability, and
claiming the above is alarmism of beamian nature.

Despite Whitworth standardisation of screw threads, mismatches do
occur with chainring fastenings. I'm not certain of the precise cause
because those bolts I've lost, I've lost, and that is despite making
sure that they were tightened fully. It could be that the threads
were bottoming out and so felt tight when in fact it was simply that
the end of the thread had been reached and so movement of the
chainring would unscrew the bolt.
Old December 23rd 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:07:10 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:

On 23 Dec, 13:01, _
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:47:43 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:
One thing is always to keep your chainring fixings
together, do not mix them up. *If you end up mixing nut and bolt then
there is the possibility of a slight mismatch

This is nonsense.

Screw threads were one of the first targets of part interchangability, and
claiming the above is alarmism of beamian nature.

Despite Whitworth standardisation of screw threads, mismatches do
occur with chainring fastenings. I'm not certain of the precise cause
because those bolts I've lost, I've lost, and that is despite making
sure that they were tightened fully. It could be that the threads
were bottoming out and so felt tight when in fact it was simply that
the end of the thread had been reached and so movement of the
chainring would unscrew the bolt.

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

b) you seem to have slid from "do this or else" to "I'm sure of the cause";
and

b) it's a poor workman that blames his equipment.
Old December 23rd 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 23 Dec, 19:56, _
wrote:

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

Keeps successfully working pairs together.

b) you seem to have slid from "do this or else" to "I'm sure of the cause";
and

Misquote.

b) it's a poor workman that blames his equipment.

learning the alphabet before posting may help.
Old December 24th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:29:01 -0800 (PST), thirty-six wrote:

On 23 Dec, 19:56, _
wrote:

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

Keeps successfully working pairs together.

a) all pairs work; and

b) you are "...not certain of the precise cause because those bolts
(you)'ve lost, (you)'ve lost."

b) you seem to have slid from "do this or else" to "I'm sure of the cause";
and

Misquote.

True - from "Do this or else" to (as above) "I'm NOT sure of the cause".
Thanks for pointing out that out; it does your argument no favour.

b) it's a poor workman that blames his equipment.

learning the alphabet before posting may help.

On usenet, attacking spelling and similar keybpoard errors of a post is
often an indicator that the replying poster has no other support.
Old December 24th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

wrote:

a) if that (bottoming out) were the case then keeping a nut and screw
together would not prevent it;

Keeps successfully working pairs together.

a) all pairs work; and

if you mix them up, sometimes they don't and you lose them on the
road. Using a threadlock or wire although not addressing the cause
does prevent the loss of the fixings. The loosewmned fixings can be
swapped around until they stick.

b) you are "...not certain of the precise cause because those bolts
(you)'ve lost, (you)'ve lost."

b) you seem to have slid from "do this or else" to "I'm sure of the cause";
and

Misquote.

True - from "Do this or else" to (as above) "I'm NOT sure of the cause".
Thanks for pointing out that out; it does your argument no favour.

Misquote again.

b) it's a poor workman that blames his equipment.

learning the alphabet before posting may help.

On usenet, attacking spelling and similar keybpoard errors of a post is
often an indicator that the replying poster has no other support.

Installing 3rd (granny) chain ring? DaveC Techniques 2 September 7th 09 08:31 AM
Chain skipping on large chain ring. Xyzzy Techniques 72 August 20th 05 03:13 PM
chain, chain ring grig Techniques 12 April 24th 05 10:05 PM
triple chain ring alpine saves hi gear chain grind? [email protected] Techniques 0 February 16th 05 06:14 PM
Sora chain ring "dropping off" going from large to small ring? Yuri Budilov Techniques 18 September 7th 04 03:14 PM