Actual Tech: Quick Links

Old May 11th 13, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Actual Tech: Quick Links

For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 11th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

Get a Revolver, or name the exact type of chain you bought.

Old May 11th 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 11, 8:15 am, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain.

It was on sale?

What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin.

Uh-huh.

I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

Sorry I'm no help - all SRAM here. Quite satisfactory.
Old May 11th 13, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/11/2013 10:15 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

The various major brands all work well. Measure across the
chain or look on the package; get that width link, 6.6mm,
6.2mm, whatever.

Generally, 4, 5, 6 derailleur chain may be easily joined
with a rivet tool. 8, 9, 10, 11 should use a snap link for
reasons you just intimately discovered. Sevens can go either
way, as you prefer.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 11th 13, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:15:10 PM UTC+1, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the

ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick

link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is

a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

-- Jay Beattie.

First you need to measure very carefully to discover the width across links because even with a single "speed" there may be differences. Once you have the width of the chain, I recommend the KMC quick links. The Connex ones also work well enough. My experience with the SRAM quick links is that they don't last as long as a quality chain, which can be a nuisance (I use KMC X8 chains). I have reused a KMC quick link without any problem.

Unless you have experience opening quick links, I suggest you practice before you have to do it on the road. My hands are soft -- I don't leave the house without gloves -- so I use a purpose made tool to break and refit quick links.

Christ, 11-speed quick-links are pricey: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=57321

Here are some more, including the wrong one for my version of the KMC X8,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25439

Here are some more on the pages where I found the right one for my chain
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=chain+link

Here are the official KMC quick link tool, a pair for opening and closing:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-chain-link-pliers/
But I use this one instead, a single tool rather than a pair:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=47439

Andre Jute
Old May 12th 13, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:49:54 PM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the

ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick

link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is

a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

Get a Revolver, or name the exact type of chain you bought.

Nice, if you can afford it, but I thought I saw where Rohloff stopped making the Revolver.

Andre Jute
Old May 12th 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:15:10 AM UTC-4, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the

ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick

link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is

a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

-- Jay Beattie.

aaaaaaaaaaa

what other chain is there ?

you commute with a pin ? no snap on snap out link ? how in the fghrt567 are you cleaning the chain(s) ?

and in the raining grit pits of Portland no lesso. good gur5tuk74!! incroyable.

yeah. basic to owning a snap,linkmis having snap link pliers. poss grinding from a medium size Wal vise grip but with your $ buy one.

3-5 grams of rain grit loses one gear here. Your stronger 2x so 7 grams one gear if arithmetic.
Old May 12th 13, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2013-05-11, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

High-end Shimano chains are really strong, good chains. I'm sure
glad that others have made compatible quick-links, though.

What speed Shimano chain did you buy? For 9sp, use the SRAM
quick-link. For 10sp, use the KMC quick-link. The Connex link works
for 10sp as well, but seems to wear quickly.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old May 12th 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/05/13 01:15, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

I prefer the one from Connex for my Campag 10s chain, if that's any help.

I just tried removing a Clarks (??) quick link and had to use pliers. I
don't have that problem with Connex.

--
JS

Old May 12th 13, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Andre Jute writes:

[...]

Thanks for providing the links. Occasionally I've found the
quicklinks to be a bit of a pain to open, so a tool would
be useful. Didn't know they existed.

--
Joe Riel