The high cost of mountain biking!

Old August 18th 16, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The high cost of mountain biking!

"John B." wrote in message
[...]

Hey Duddly, the other day I mentioned that I was wondering about you.

Whether you actually believe your stuff or whether you were lying.

And then you mentioned the Great God Vanderman and how smart he was

because he was a doctor. In fact you equated a doctorate with great
mental powers.

I equate a doctorate with knowing something about something, unlike you who
seem to know nothing about nothing.

Somehow I seem to associate "Berkeley" and a doctorate in psychology

with the good doctor, so I did a search. Unfortunately Berkeley,
Psychology Department seems to have no record of any Vanderman, nor
can I find a reference to Berkeley granting a Doctorate in any subject
to a "Vanderman".

By Berkeley, I assume you mean the University of California at Berkeley. Try
some other schools somewhere else.

There seems to be something a bit weird here. A Doctor with no school

records?

Would you care to comment on how Vanderman can have a doctorate and no

school records the award of such a diploma?

His degree was acquired at some other school ... or else your research is as
****ed up as you are.

I am interested in what a moron like you were ever doing in a place like
West Papua (New Guinea)? Frankly, it is the ONLY thing about you that
interests me.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota

Old August 18th 16, 10:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:09:36 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

[...]

I see. You don't know, you can't find out and all you have is hope
that your idol's feet aren't made of clay.

So, the only question than is (1) are you as equal a phony as your
mentor? or (2) just a fool clinging to the shreds of a tattered idol?

Hey! did you know that way back before Vandy discovered Mountain Bikes
he used to rant and rave about cars. "CARS MUST BE BANNED!" You see he
claimed that an automobile ran over his cat and thus all autos must be
banned from the city. Then, for a while he was arguing that Bulldozers
Must Be Banned", as he argued that bulldozers were killing the snakes.

You picked a real loony to worship.

I am interested in what a moron like you were ever doing in a place like
West Papua (New Guinea)? Frankly, it is the ONLY thing about you that
interests me.

Maintenance Supervisor at the largest copper mine in the world
(reserves).

But that really isn't important, is it. What is important is that I
got off my arse and went out and saw a little of the world and what
some of its inhabitants are actually like.

Rather than huddling in some hut trying to impress people that
although I have no experience at all I really do know what I am
talking about. (See Vandi told me so).

By the way, the Grasberg job was just the first time I was in Irian. I
spent another 5 years there during various periods, in various parts
of the province, on various projects.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 18th 16, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"John B." wrote in message

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:09:36 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

[...]

You seem to enjoy looking things up ... so the ball is in your court. Trust
me, if I wanted to find out, I would. I was a professional librarian in
another lifetime.

So, the only question than is (1) are you as equal a phony as your

mentor? or (2) just a fool clinging to the shreds of a tattered idol?

So ... nothing. You do not have a clue as to what I think about anything -
period!

Hey! did you know that way back before Vandy discovered Mountain Bikes

he used to rant and rave about cars. "CARS MUST BE BANNED!" You see he
claimed that an automobile ran over his cat and thus all autos must be
banned from the city. Then, for a while he was arguing that Bulldozers
Must Be Banned", as he argued that bulldozers were killing the snakes.

He wants to reduce the impact of our life style (extreme urbanization) on
nature. It is all of one piece, but you are too stupid to see it.

You picked a real loony to worship.

I only worship the sun from which all life emanates.

I am interested in what a moron like you were ever doing in a place like
West Papua (New Guinea)? Frankly, it is the ONLY thing about you that
interests me.

Maintenance Supervisor at the largest copper mine in the world

(reserves).

But that really isn't important, is it. What is important is that I

got off my arse and went out and saw a little of the world and what
some of its inhabitants are actually like.

Rather than huddling in some hut trying to impress people that

although I have no experience at all I really do know what I am
talking about. (See Vandi told me so).

So you have an engineering degree, but are sadly lacking in the liberal
arts. It is why you are such a savage yourself.

By the way, the Grasberg job was just the first time I was in Irian. I

spent another 5 years there during various periods, in various parts
of the province, on various projects.

Well, you and I are polar opposites. That is probably why we are never going
to see things eye to eye.

You actually remind me of another engineer I butted heads with on various
newsgroups a few years back. He was a civil engineer and knew all the
technical aspects of bicycles. I did defer to him in his area of expertise,
just as I would to you. But outside his specialty, he was a nut like you. I
think engineers are "can do" people and this leads them to believe that they
have expert knowledge on subjects outside their area of expertise. We
liberals arts people are more humble. We don't pretend to be experts on
every subject under the sun.

For all the time you spent in New Guinea, you seemed not to have made any
connection with the locals. A little anthropology would have corrected that
deficiency in you. No doubt, you played the role of the ugly American (or
was it "ugly Australian") there just as you are playing that role here.
There is probably nothing wrong with you that a little civilization
(culture) would not cure. I have spent most of my life listening to the
music of Beethoven. That would be a good place for you to begin.

Old August 19th 16, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:46:46 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 02:09:36 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[...]

Well, the usual "project" would have from 1,000 to 3,000 locals
working on it and strange as it may seem, we took a very great
interest in the "troops". We supplied a Doctor and medical staff to
treat them. We provided food and good water and ensured that it was
properly distributed. We supplied safety gear, and we even provided
entertainment. We showed two movies a week and they came in hordes.
Some non employees walked for several days to "go to the movies".

But how would one not interact. there is you, maybe one other
foreigner, 4 Javanese, and 3,000 locals?

Oh, by the way, your knowledge of English literature, as it is in
other fields, somewhat lacking. You see, in the book, the "Ugly
American" was the good guy.

So, here we have the brilliant and resourceful Dooley who worships a
doctor who has no doctorate and knows nothing about American
Literature and who's sole knowledge seems to be that a bicycle has
wheels.

Quite obviously an ignoramus who has seized on one tiny bit of
information and now exhibits his "knowledge" for all to see.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 19th 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"John B." wrote in message

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:46:46 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:
[...]

[...]

Just a work place environment where you and yours ruled.

But how would one not interact. there is you, maybe one other

foreigner, 4 Javanese, and 3,000 locals?

You needed to go to their villages and see how they lived away from you. And
maybe wander about the island a bit on foot so as to get the flavor of the
place. But, unlike David Diamond ("Guns, Germs and Steel"), you had neither
the wit nor the wisdom to see the world as they saw it. You might as well
have stayed in the States (or is it Australia) for all the good it ever did
you.

Oh, by the way, your knowledge of English literature, as it is in

other fields, somewhat lacking. You see, in the book, the "Ugly
American" was the good guy.

No one reads a trash book like that except the uninformed who think it is
"literature". The reference was to the movie. Marlon Brando always struck me
as an ugly guy. I am sure you were too.

What are your credentials for commenting on wilderness and wilderness
values? Because you poked your head into the jungle of New Guinea, however
briefly? Give me a break! What you lack above all else is a spiritual
grounding in the eternal verities of life on this earth for mankind. That is
something that both Mr. Vandeman and I are expert at due to our pastimes of
taking a walk in the woods. The delight and wonderment of that will forever
escape you because you are a barbarian. Only folks of high culture and
civilized knowledge know anything about the values of wilderness. Your New
Guinea savages know nothing but how to survive in it. That is apparently the
extent of your knowledge too.

Anyone who runs away from a settled area to live in a wilderness is an
idiot. The TV channels are full of programs that are about fools like that.
Such folks are crazy and are to be pitied more than condemned. But **** 'em
anyway! My patience for suffering fools was long ago exhausted.

So, here we have the brilliant and resourceful Dooley who worships a

doctor who has no doctorate and knows nothing about American
Literature and who's sole knowledge seems to be that a bicycle has
wheels.

So says an engineer and an overseer who is little better than a savage
himself.

Quite obviously an ignoramus who has seized on one tiny bit of

information and now exhibits his "knowledge" for all to see.

I know that single track trails in wilderness are for walking, not for the
sport of mountain biking. That is one hell of a lot more than you know.

Old August 19th 16, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 00:22:38 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
Anyone who runs away from a settled area to live in a wilderness is an
idiot. The TV channels are full of programs that are about fools like that.
Such folks are crazy and are to be pitied more than condemned. But **** 'em
anyway! My patience for suffering fools was long ago exhausted.

And that tells the real story. A bloke that states that anyone that
runs away from a settled area.... and than feigns expertise in
forests. Nope Dooly you have outed yourself. You are just another fake
like Vandi.

What's next. Will you, like Vandi, start screaming about the
bulldozers killing the snakes?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 19th 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

wrote:

Anyone who runs away from a settled area to live in a wilderness is an
idiot. The TV channels are full of programs that are about fools like that.
Such folks are crazy and are to be pitied more than condemned. But **** 'em
anyway! My patience for suffering fools was long ago exhausted.

And that tells the real story. A bloke that states that anyone that

runs away from a settled area.... and than feigns expertise in
forests. Nope Dooly you have outed yourself. You are just another fake
like Vandi.

Experts and cultivated gentlemen like us are never appreciated by the hoi
polloi like you.

You were the asshole that ran away from a settled area to work in a
primitive area. You did it for the money of course but you probably thought
you were improving the lives of the natives. ****ing missionary types always
think they are improving the lives of the natives whether from religious
motives or economic motives. And then such types take pride in their hard
work. Take your hard work and stuff it up your ass!

What's next. Will you, like Vandi, start screaming about the

bulldozers killing the snakes?

If a snake wants to bite you in the ass, I would not object.