Electric bike power module.

Old November 9th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Electric bike power module.

Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off an
electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my electronics
hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Old November 9th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/9/2017 12:52 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was
obviously off an electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no
salvage for my electronics hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my
curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

No idea and web & ebay searches yield zilch.

You might try my technique, which has proven effective for
pernicious electronics:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/FIXCOMPU.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 9th 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 6:52:27 PM UTC, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off an
electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my electronics
hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Most common power supplies, if this is indeed a power module component, are 24V and 36V. Given that it is a name neither Muzi nor I have heard, and not on the internet, it is likely to be an OEM-only item. More interesting is the outputs. There is likely to be a 24V or 36V output, and perhaps 6V for lamps, and less likely but possibly a very clean 5.1V for USB charging.

Another possibility is that it is merely (!) a lipo battery charge control module, in which case you want to burn it immediately because it is a very, very dangerous item, causing nasty battery fires and/or explosions if mishandled or faulty. If that is what it is, you need to discover what it was used for before you mess with it.

Most interesting possibility is that it is a control system for an electric bike. The actual motor in a modern electric bike system contributes only about an eighth (a 16th if you count the battery as well) of the selling price but the control systems are much more expensive. A really good one would have a torque sensor, for instance; you don't get one of those "free" on your iPhone! If it has a torque sensor it might be built into the motor casing to be near its sensors, in which case it might like a power module. On my system there are various output programs that can be combined and overlapped. For instance, because I have a 14sp Rohloff gearbox and I use the central electrical motor (8FUN BBS) just to fill in near the tops of hills, or to start from standstill on steep hills, I have reduced the default 9-step output program to only 5 steps. There's also a very useful "walking the bike" program, a light on the display, a large number of reporting modes, etc.

Nor is such a control system tied only to electric motors. My old Di2 Trek has a hub gearbox but no motor; the electronics change gear automatically according to one of the programs and controls the reactions of the suspension (the other way round from the air suspension on a Range Rover) -- see
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html
for more on this very handy system. The road Di2 system is a cut-down, crippled, version of what I have on the Trek.

Andre Jute
Tomorrow's Man OR Whatever happened to that bright technodream?
Old November 10th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/11/17 05:52, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off
an electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my
electronics hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Google just the part number string WZKD3615KA.

It is a 36V controller. I found a wiring diagram and such.

--
JS
Old November 10th 17, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 4:16:53 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 10/11/17 05:52, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off
an electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my
electronics hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Google just the part number string WZKD3615KA.

It is a 36V controller. I found a wiring diagram and such.

--
JS

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tianji...RM=QBLH &sp=1

more info is INSIDE these links
Old November 10th 17, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:52:27 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off an
electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my electronics
hobby.

Spelling error. It's Tianjin Santroll.
The 3615 is a 36v 15A brushless motor controller.
http://maggie0351.en.busytrade.com/products.html
http://maggie0351.en.busytrade.com/products/info/188262/Brush-controller--ZKC3615KA.html
(Very slow web site. Give it time)

Not much on the company web pile:
http://en.santroll.com/Home/Index/index.html

My neighbors son, the eBike builder, used them to build a few
machines. Despite all efforts to kill these controllers, the best he
could do was smoke some insulation on the wires.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 10th 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

There was no battery when i found it and there was no charging port, so I
assume the battery is ejected and docked with a stand alone charger unit.

I've been designing my own single cell charge control units for nearly a
decade - designing cell balancers is more challenging, and buying ready made
from eBay is probably cheaper anyway.

Old November 10th 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"James" wrote in message
news
On 10/11/17 05:52, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off an
electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my electronics
hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Google just the part number string WZKD3615KA.

It is a 36V controller. I found a wiring diagram and such.

I found that too - the Panther drives a 3ph BLDC motor, the module I found
only has 2 heavy cables.

There's a name something like; "Pendelton", but it was written on with thick
marker pen so I ignored it.

Having rummaged the salvage pile since chucking it on there - it may take
some finding to check what it actually does say.

Old November 10th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 4:16:53 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 10/11/17 05:52, Ian Field wrote:
Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off
an electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my
electronics hobby.

Might end up a waste of time - but I'd like to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for any info.

Google just the part number string WZKD3615KA.

It is a 36V controller. I found a wiring diagram and such.

--
JS

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tianji...RM=QBLH &sp=1

more info is INSIDE these links

Lots of links that go to investor and financial pages, but no sign of a
search box to put the model number into.

Old November 10th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote:

Found a Tianjin Santrol WZKD3615KA power module that was obviously off an
electric bike. Its a potted assembly, so no salvage for my electronics
hobby.

Spelling error. It's Tianjin Santroll.
The 3615 is a 36v 15A brushless motor controller.
http://maggie0351.en.busytrade.com/products.html
http://maggie0351.en.busytrade.com/products/info/188262/Brush-controller--ZKC3615KA.html
(Very slow web site. Give it time)

It loaded instantly on my rickety old PC - no data sheet apparently, and no
sign of the WZKD3615 I'm looking for.