A good Win 98 SE newsgroup? OT O.T.

Old March 4th 04, 11:08 PM
Mikael Seierup

Default A good Win 98 SE newsgroup? OT O.T.

I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive
I now have a disk C: D: E: (two partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom).
However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old CDRom icon).
Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly
and so does BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*

Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people
please let me know.

Sorry for the OT.

Mikael
Old March 5th 04, 01:54 AM
Mike Schwab

Shut down to dos mode
Run FDISK
Select second drive
Do inquiry, I suspect it is a bootable DOS partition

If it is, Delete this partition
Exit fdisk
reboot
shutdown to dos mode
run FDISK
select second drive
Create LOGICAL partition, use entire drive
Create LOGICAL drive(s) within this partition
exit
reboot
shutdown to dos mode
do a Dir C: then DIR D: should come back with root directory listing
do A DIR E: should come back with error message
For this drive, do a FORMAT E:

(only one DOS partition can be boot from and accessed)

Old March 5th 04, 04:29 AM
freewolf1

Open up "pathfinder" (your file manager).
Drag the drive icons onto the DT, drop.

--
Bil-Freewolf
freewolf1 ta cox tod net

Old March 5th 04, 05:09 AM
freewolf1

Open 'Pathfinder' (your file manager).
Drag each drive icon onto desktop,
Drop.

Mikael Seierup wrote:

I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive
I now have a disk C: D: E: (two partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom).
However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old CDRom icon).
Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly
and so does BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*

Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people
please let me know.

Sorry for the OT.

Mikael

Bil-Freewolf1
freewolf1 ta cox tod net

Old March 5th 04, 05:17 AM
freewolf1

Mikael,

You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).
Then DRAG from Pathfinder, each drive icon you wish to see
onto the desktop and then DROP it.

Old March 5th 04, 05:49 AM
freewolf1

Mikael,

You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).

DRAG from Pathfinder,
each drive icon you wish to see,
onto the desktop
and DROP it. Answer YES, to menu box query.

Old March 5th 04, 06:36 AM
Mikael Seierup

"freewolf1" skrev...

You will need to DELETE from your desktop, D: (the cdrom).

DRAG from Pathfinder,
each drive icon you wish to see,
onto the desktop
and DROP it. Answer YES, to menu box query.

Aha. Been too long since I messed with my computer I guess. :-)
This worked. Thanks.

Mikael
Old March 8th 04, 06:05 AM
Frank P. Patterson

Mikael Seierup wrote:
I have a strange problem. After getting a second harddrive
I now have a disk C: D: E: (two partitions as its 160 GB) and F: (CDRom).
However my desktop shows only C: and D: (using the old CDRom icon).
Pathfinder or whatever its called in english shows the drives correctly
and so does BIOS and sysinfo. *scratch*

Anyway if someone knows how to fix this or a newsgroup with clever people
please let me know.

Sorry for the OT.

Mikael

Hi Mikael,
My wife is a professional IT administrator. Has been a programmer. Rides
a 19lb (8.7Kg) Columbine [should have raced]. Recommendation is to get
an up to date laptop with XP and forget partitioning and DOS.
Pathfinder must be a legacy DOS item. Windows 95 was better than 98 or
Melinia. But what do I know...I'm a carpenter.
Old March 8th 04, 09:50 PM
Christopher Jordan

I also had a strange problem, and left A.R.B.R. rather hastily. See,
I thought I was allergic to OT posts. I guess not! How refreshing to
take a quick look and only finding this single OT post here; and one
with a plea for advice!

So no, I guess I am not allergic after all, since a question rather
than political opinions and arguments is like a breath of fresh air.

Now, for my question; did someone run over Mr. Dolan? :-)

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message ...
I have a strange problem.