Special tools for bicycles

Old April 8th 21, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Special tools for bicycles

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:45:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:26:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:

According to Frank buying anything from China is sure danger even though most American companies have their parts made in China. The three top end Trek Frames are one of the exceptions. But Frank is perfectly willing to tell you otherwise.

Believe it or not, I do not follow every thread and insult on this forum. But I find it impossible to believe Frank or anyone at all said anything from China is dangerous. After all, just look at the FACTS. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else is using a computer Made In China to type on this forum. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a cellular telephone Made In China. Everyone, me, you, Frank, and everyone else, is using a television Made In China. All of us, even the most serious MAGA fanatic in the USA, uses Chinese made stuff everyday. I know many people love to scream Buy American, and all the other slogans. But the simple fact is many, most things are not made in the USA. And many, most things source some or all parts from China. And other parts of the world. Trading with other countries is a good thing. It allows everyone to prosper. Good, not bad.

China makes perfectly good stuff as well as junk. Probably 20 years
ago I was planning to re-engine a boat and trying to decide on what
engine to use and someone suggested Chinese made Cummins and when I
checked with Cummins I found that the Chinese made engines carried the
exact same guarantee as a U.S. made engine.

The point is that China makes stuff to sell and if you want cheap
stuff they are perfectly willing to provide what you want to buy. And
apparently USians want cheap stuff. Harbor Freight went from almost
literally a "sell out of the garage" business to a billion dollar
business selling cheap stuff to the U.S. market.

It might be of interest to know that Japan, after WW II, did exactly
the same thing. Made cheap stuff and in some cases cornered the market
and then gradually increased quality as the market would stand it.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 21, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I hope I did not write the comment that all Chinese stuff is bad, awful, horrible, terrible. After all Apple makes some of their phones and computers in China and many, many people literally sleep with their iPhones. And campout for a week in the lines at the Apple stores to be the first person to get the new Chinese made Apple phone.

China makes every quality level of product. Those Chinese communists, fascists, dictators have a good grasp of capitalist supply and demand. They see a demand from the USA consumer for cheap garbage junk, and they are happy and willing to provide the supply. Capitalism at its best. And when Apple and others demand quality products, they can produce them too. Kind of like the USA automobile business. Pickup trucks seem to be of high quality. But the cars are basically junk. Ford, Chevy, and especially Chrysler, make all different quality levels of vehicles.

Old April 8th 21, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

China is perfectly good at manufacturing and probably have as good assembly lines as anywhere in the world. Aside from the fact that much of the staff is forced labor. They also have very good engineering since their engineers are often trained in the finest Universities in the world. The trouble is that they also have many "self-made" engineers. These people can be very good too, after all, I was one of those. But being self trained they often do not have access to things like the standards that Park Tool makes their tools to and so they make them to their own standards. Late nights for little pay make for insufficient time to look things up on the Internet. And their access to the Internet is strictly controlled.
Old April 9th 21, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 01:19:48 +0000, pH scribed:

On 2021-04-08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 1:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:32:44 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T consider myself OLD!!!!! Well except when I see
my friend's kids who

are in college.

I was taken aback the first time I asked a former student of mine, a
graduate of my program, "So where are you working now?" and he replied
"Oh, I'm retired."

Well...*I'm* curious....
Was it because he had rich parents, was a student already in his 60's,
had a great idea and made two million bucks (inflation) or....???

IME, most people, who retire early, make that decision to do so early in
their working life and adopt a life style that allows them to accumulate
the funds to obtain the assets to enable that early retirement.

Some people do benefit from windfalls, but the evidence is these people
tend to blow the windfall on a short extravagant lifestyle before going
'back to work'.

Living frugally, doing stuff for yourself and keeping in mind that life
isn't about 'stuff'.

I learnt early that making my own sandwiches for lunch, kept money in my
pocket, walking/riding to work was better than paying gym fees, a bicycle
is a just a tool, and I relaxed by doing outdoors stuff through my own
efforts, rather than pay someone for any experience.

Make improvements to situation in stages.Carefully choosing your life
partner is important. Deciding you can make do with what you have so you
can make an extra payment off the home loan helps. We did it in 15 years
instead of the normal 25 years, then we 'improved' the hovel. When we had
a small windfall, we invested it, in a property where the tenant paid off
the purchase loan, then repeat.

We both stepped into and out of the 9-5 grind a couple of times to try
stuff/education and a change of pace, then one day it was 'why are we
working' and the contracts I accepted became very selective and SWMBO'd
decide to transition through incremental less part time work.

YMMV. Good Luck and have fun whilst dong it.

Old April 9th 21, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On 2021-04-08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 1:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:32:44 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

[1] Old people can rant here about removing Regina, Cyclo,
Merveille etc two-notch freewheels. Splines rcck!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T consider myself OLD!!!!! Well except when I see my friend's kids who

are in college.

I was taken aback the first time I asked a former student of mine, a
graduate of my program, "So where are you working now?" and he replied
"Oh, I'm retired."

Well...*I'm* curious....
Was it because he had rich parents, was a student already in his 60's, had a
great idea and made two million bucks (inflation) or....???

The guy I'm thinking of was a "non-traditional student" meaning he was a
full blown adult, not a kid of 18, when he entered our program. He was
probably working in some manufacturing or engineering firm. And I was
retired at the time I ran into him. But since then I've run into other
former students who said they were near retirement.

Ahh. Okay. Thanks for the reply. You probably have great teaching stories,
but we can't bring those up unless the involve bicycles.

pH
Old April 10th 21, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 4/8/2021 9:19 PM, pH wrote:
On 2021-04-08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 1:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think he bothered Frank because he already knew that communism doesn't work. It has only failed every place and every time it's been attempted.
Old April 10th 21, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 4/8/2021 9:19 PM, pH wrote:
On 2021-04-08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/7/2021 1:35 PM, wrote:
[...]