Recumbents

Old June 21st 04, 11:41 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Default Recumbents

In ,
Simon Brooke typed:
in message , Ambrose Nankivell
') wrote:
http://home.hccnet.nl/Mark.Maier/rec...evoracer99.jpg

There's one, it's a Flevoracer.

Ahh! Interesting.

Questions:

IANAExpert, just someone interested. I could well be wrong.

Are the handlebars attached to the forward chassis, or to the rear
chassis?

Are the handlebars rigidly attached, or is there a linkage?

Attached to the rear, rigidly. It's steered by the pedals. Not considered to
be that easy to ride or manouverable, but aparrently people do commute on
them. I'm sure Dave Larrington can fill you in on it, anyway.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:54 AM
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

Can you post a URL:

There's a fairly good description of the Racer version at
http://home.hccnet.nl/Mark.Maier/recumbents.html

The basic "Bike" model has 20" back and front, the racer has bigger
wheels and there's also a trike version.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old June 22nd 04, 09:07 AM
Roos Eisma

Peter Clinch writes:

Simon Brooke wrote:

Can you post a URL:

There's a fairly good description of the Racer version at
http://home.hccnet.nl/Mark.Maier/recumbents.html

The basic "Bike" model has 20" back and front, the racer has bigger
wheels and there's also a trike version.

And they're now manufactured by Tempelman:

http://www.ligfietsshop.nl/

Follow the links to 'Assortiment', 'Tempelman' and then you'll find 4
models Flevo-Bike, Flevo-Bike air, Flevo-Racer, Flevo-Trike

All in Dutch though....

Roos
Old June 22nd 04, 10:08 AM
Graeme

Ian Smith wrote in
:

There's also one that is FWD via a differential, and steered by
braking teh front wheels individually, like a tank. The back wheel is
just a castor.

That'll be this one - http://www.sidewindercycle.com/

It looks good fun - http://www.sidewindercycle.com/movies/solo%
20spinning.MPG however I wouldn't want to have to stop in an emergency at
high speed. Also, would turning by braking one wheel not burn off some
important energy?

Graeme
Old June 22nd 04, 10:10 AM
Mark South

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:15:13 +0200, Mark South wrote:

"You need to declare a jihad on your own ignorant ass."
- Ed Dolan in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Has The Troll of arbr discovered a sense of humour? Maybe I should
rescue him from the killfile....

Oh, no, he's perfectly the same, but recently he's been coming up with some
quotable stuff in the same humorous/colourful vein.
--
"You are the most stupid asshole I have yet encountered on this newsgroup.
Congratulations. That is no small achievement as there are many other

Old June 22nd 04, 10:12 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Mark South wrote:

Has The Troll of arbr discovered a sense of humour? Maybe I should
rescue him from the killfile....

Oh, no, he's perfectly the same, but recently he's been coming up
with some quotable stuff in the same humorous/colourful vein.

Mr Ed is not worth reading any more. If it's true he has Alzheimer's then
it's reached the obnoxious senseless stage. If he doesn't even have that
excuse then he is just an arsehole.

His "get the retaliation in first" style is annoying, his "I am right and
f**k the evidence" attitude is wearing and his advice against the cycling
techniques we know and love is downright dangerous.

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 22nd 04, 10:22 AM
Mark South

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Mark South wrote:

Has The Troll of arbr discovered a sense of humour? Maybe I should
rescue him from the killfile....

Oh, no, he's perfectly the same, but recently he's been coming up
with some quotable stuff in the same humorous/colourful vein.

Mr Ed is not worth reading any more. If it's true he has Alzheimer's then
it's reached the obnoxious senseless stage. If he doesn't even have that
excuse then he is just an arsehole.

All of the above.

His "get the retaliation in first" style is annoying, his "I am right and
f**k the evidence" attitude is wearing and his advice against the cycling
techniques we know and love is downright dangerous.

Thank god there's no one like that posting in uk.rec.cycling then.
--
"I would recommend Iowa or North
Dakota for your dip into reality."

Old June 22nd 04, 01:11 PM
Dave Larrington

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

ISTR that Thrust SSC was rear-steer.

It was, and afterwards S/L Green is on record as saying that such steering
should in future be confined to forklifts.

There /have/ been some more or less successful FWD/RWS recumbent trikes,
though. The Sturmey-Archer Flying Five and Simon Sanderson's exquisitely
mis-named Panzer were both successful racers in the early 80's, and there
have been production machines from the Jouta brothers in The Netherlands.
However, get it wrong and it will bite - I have the scars to prove it.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old June 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
Mike Causer

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:04:55 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

I never used to notice it, but now I often notice myself starting a turn
by countersteering. For some reason it's much more noticeable on the
Street Machine that it used to be on my ATB. Perhaps it's more
necessary on a bent than on a wedgie.

Perhaps it's more noticable because of the lack of weight on the hands &
arms?

Last week, after reading the explanation of bicycle steering in the 3rd
edition of "Bicycling Science" I did some experimenting. First on the
Speed Ross swb recumbent. I took it to a local industrial estate with a
reasonable area of concrete to play on. The bike would turn _either_
with a very gentle movement of the bars _into_ the turn or with a
positive push _out of_ the turn. A sharp push out of turn generated
a real feeling of instability as it first went in the direction of the
bars then reversed -- with the rear tyre protesting. I didn't go too far
with this, falling off onto dirty concrete is not fun. Once in the
turn the bars were turned very noticably into the turn, but had to held
with a force out of turn. Letting go of the bars instantly dropped it
into turn, and to straighten up the bars had to be pushed out of turn.
At higher speed corners on the road, I believe that the out of turn
force needed for constant cornering reduces, but haven't found a
suitable place the test.

Now on the wedgie (a Moulton AM). I really could not detect what
movements or forces were involved in getting it to turn. Possibly
because I was doing through weight shift, but I think it was because the
forces are so light and considerably less than the loads due to body
weight. However, to keep a turn going it needs into turn bar position.

Lastly a couple of motorbike experiments from some time ago. To start
the turn takes a definite push _out_ of turn -- the classic
countersteer. Push harder and the 'bike drops into the turn faster. To
straighten up push _into_ turn. However the two 'bikes behaved
differently mid-turn, one needed slight into turn bar position and the
other needed slight out of turn. Initiating a turn by weight-shifting
works, but slowly.

I am far from convinced that anyone (D G Wilson included) has yet fully
worked out all the factors involved in bicycle steering...

Mike