Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 1st 04, 04:31 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, David L. Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:13:14 -0500, Preston Crawford wrote:

if no. eat turkey. eat chicken. eat fish. eat soylent green.

That would be the dogmatism I'm referring to. Soylet green?

Name of, and primary food available in, an old post-apocalyptic sci-fi
movie from the 70s (I *think). Last movie Edward G. Robinson was in.
Ah, found it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

I know what it is. One of my favorite movies, actually. I just thought
dropping that in alongside turkey, etc. sounded a bit like an anti-meat
dogma being spouted. I mean, I don't recall asking about Soylent Green.
Nor do I think it's available yet.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 04:41 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, Bob in CT wrote:
It's my opinion that low fat is unhealthy. I ate low fat for years, and
all it did for me was give me insulin resistance. I switched to low carb
and increased my HDL (now over 40 for the first time ever, regardless of
how much exercise I did on low fat), decreased my triglycerides, decreased
my fasting blood glucose, and have a better total cholesterol/HDL ratio.
Plus, I feel so much better on low carb than I did on low fat. My opinion
is that low fat is a complete sham and a lie.

Well, I did low fat for 5 years and lost 160+lbs. and my cholesterol got
as low as 120. Now granted, as I've said before, I found I needed more
protein and thus I started eating more cheese, gained back some weight and
now I'm playing the "find a protein game". But I think my example is proof
that not everyone is the same. And certainly for me a low fat diet worked
well. Very well. Now, you have to keep in mind that by low fat I don't
mean no fat. I know that's not good for you. And to be honest I focus my
diet more on getting lots of fruits, vegetables and quality (low glycemic)
carbs. So I think I have everything under control except quitting my
cheese addiction and finding another protein source. I was simply
referring to low fat meat sources. Because if I'm not eating fatty meats
and I'm not eating tons of nuts and I'm not eating fatty snacks that
leaves me plenty of room to use healthy oils, flax seed, healthy butter
substitutes. So I get my fat. I just try to make sure it's good ftat.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 04:43 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, Steve-o wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:24:05 -0500, Preston Crawford
wrote:

I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage.

FWIW: I've been eating a vegetarian diet ~6 years now, been an active
cyclist for 1. I eat a soy protein shake after almost every ride and
things seem to be going well so far, although I'm nowhere near 300
miles a week.

In a blender goes:
soy protein, soy milk (cow's milk if you prefer), plus
frozen strawberries or a banana or cocoa powder & stevia powder & some
ice cubes or instant coffee crystals or whatever is on hand or all of
the above.

Blend. Pour.

Don't drink it yet. Clean the blender so it's ready for the next
shake, or you'll be annoyed when you go to use it again. Put dish
soap in the blender and fill it 3/4 full with water. Blend on high to
clean the blades. Wash the pitcher and lid with a sponge. Set it
aside to dry.

Now enjoy your shake, or put it in a to-go cup and go.

BAM! Total time 5 minutes.

My wife does that. Kind of hard to do that at work, though.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 04:44 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-01, dhacat wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 06:33:08 -0400, Steve-o wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage.

FWIW: I've been eating a vegetarian diet ~6 years now, been an active
cyclist for 1. I eat a soy protein shake after almost every ride and
things seem to be going well so far, although I'm nowhere near 300
miles a week.

There are also vegetarian non-soy based protein powders. I add a scoop to a
multigrain hot cereal, along with fruit, for breakfast most mornings.

Hummus makes a great protein food. Make your own or buy it prepared.

White beans (eg, great Northern) also make a really tasty hummus style spread
for sandwiches.

I add a cup or so of rinsed black beans to spaghetti sauce, and throw that on
top of whole wheat pasta for an after ride meal.

Indian restaurants tend to have good vegetarian, high protein (chickpeas,
lentils) options. Canned soups are an option, but I tend to avoid those
because of the insanely high sodium content.

I'm a vegan, averaging about 220 miles a week these days. I'd rather bike
than cook too, so quick and easy is what I look for.

Good luck with your continued weight loss!

Thank you and thanks for the tips.

Preston
Old September 1st 04, 05:02 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:07:38 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

hear you Preston.

Let me just say one last thing in this thread: I lost 130 lbs on a LC diet
that consisted of mostly fat (it had ample amounts of protein, to). I did
have to limit nuts 'cause I tend to eat too many of them to lose weight.
But the notion that fat is the enemy is simply wrong. For me (and many
others), controling BG swings was the key to the elimination of excessive
appetite that lead to overconsumption of food. On LC, even though I was
eating a lot of fat (along with a lot of low carb veggies), I didn't have to
eat much red meat. I could eat all kinds of fish and fowl. But I had less
appetite which translated into eating less food, and thus fewer calories.
There are many others with similar stories. Also, my type 2 diabetics is
under control and other blood indicators improved. Just FYI.

When you say 'eating a lot of fat', what were the sources? Why didn't you
trim the fat from the meat or eat more lean h-burger and soforth.

I realize I eat a lot of fat on the LC diet, getting it in fatty fish
(salmon) and hamburger and marbled steak, and nut sources, but my
inclination wouldn't be to emphasize the fat consumption, necessarily.

Just curious.

-B

Old September 1st 04, 05:09 PM
Bob in CT

wrote:

[...]

Some people don't believe that fat is bad for you (other than transfats).
Personally, I don't believe saturated fat is bad at all. See, for
instance:

http://www.thincs.org/
http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

And there are many more.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old September 1st 04, 05:15 PM
Terry Morse

Bill Baka wrote:

Besides, I don't think there is any significant amount of cholesterol
in bird meat,

A chicken half breast contains about 120 mg of cholesterol. All
animal flesh contains cholesterol. The RDA for cholesterol is
200-400 mg.
Old September 1st 04, 05:30 PM
neil0502

Preston Crawford wrote

Steve-o wrote: [snipped]

In a blender goes:
soy protein, soy milk (cow's milk if you prefer), plus
frozen strawberries or a banana or cocoa powder & stevia powder & some
ice cubes or instant coffee crystals or whatever is on hand or all of
the above.

Blend. Pour.

My wife does that. Kind of hard to do that at work, though.

A) Preston, you are to be heartily congratulated on your weight loss. You
know you lost an entire person's worth of weight. Bravo!
B) Sounds like a couple of your other issues threaten to increase the
difficulty of keeping this one in check (anxiety, heavy workload). I
presume you're putting some time into managing each of those....

C) Ah, the ubiquitous smoothie. 'Tis a beautiful thing, and our breakfast
about five days a week. Couple things:

-Exactly. Here's where your protein powder goes (I use some cheapie
generic crap; I think it's egg protein, but whey or any other works, too).
There's *so* much flavor in a smoothie that you can drown out the taste and
texture of virtually any offensive substance ;-)
-I also add a multivitamin supplement powder called Source of Life (
http://snipurl.com/8sp3 ).
-other things I may add (tailor to suit your tolerance/priorities)
-flax seed powder
-wheat germ
-uncooked oatmeal
-plain, nonfat yogurt
-soft tofu
-granola
-raw nuts (usually almonds)
-I'm the smoothie-ologist around here. When my wife's running late,
half goes in a Tupperware to go cup with a lid and sits in her fridge at
work until she gets a break. They hold quite well in the refrigerator for
a day. If she doesn't rinse the cup out at work, however, I have to rent a
jackhammer to clean it at night ;-)

Hey, Zoot: wanna post that lentil stew recipe?? That sounds *mighty* good!

Old September 1st 04, 05:46 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
:: On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:07:38 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::: hear you Preston.
:::
[...]

Meat, cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, fowl w/ skin, fish, oils, salad
dressing, flaxseed, flaxoil, etc. I don't like lean burger, but do trim
visable fat from something like a steak (but rarely would I eat that).
Probably the fattiest course of meat for me was pork ribs. Mostly, I ate
fish (salmon and talapia) and chicken breast.

::
:: I realize I eat a lot of fat on the LC diet, getting it in fatty fish
:: (salmon) and hamburger and marbled steak, and nut sources, but my
:: inclination wouldn't be to emphasize the fat consumption,
:: necessarily.

Well, I count calories and everything using fitday.com and even when trying
to not eat the fattiest cuts of me (which, BTW, I don't do and never did),
the greatest precentage of calories come from fat. And to be honest, I did
try to limit fat consumption since it does have a lot of calories.

::
:: Just curious.
::
:: -B

Old September 1st 04, 06:11 PM
the black rose

Bob in CT wrote:
It's my opinion that low fat is unhealthy. I ate low fat for years, and
all it did for me was give me insulin resistance. I switched to low
carb and increased my HDL (now over 40 for the first time ever,
regardless of how much exercise I did on low fat), decreased my
triglycerides, decreased my fasting blood glucose, and have a better
total cholesterol/HDL ratio. Plus, I feel so much better on low carb
than I did on low fat. My opinion is that low fat is a complete sham
and a lie.

It really depends on how low-fat you go. I tend to call my diet
low-fat, but it's not really by many definitions, and I focus more on
low sodium than low fat -- I get about 20% or so of my calories from
fat, and my skin is healthy and my hair can only be called lustrous.
I'm just really careful about added fats, I guess, and lately I've been
trying to avoid trans-fats in particular. I get 15-20% of my calories
from proteins, and the rest is healthy carbs: vegetables, whole grains,
and fruits. A recent cholesterol screening (only about a month ago)
recorded my HDL at 58; it's never, ever been that high before. The next
words out of her mouth after telling me that, the doc asked me, "You
exercise, don't you?"

I realize that diabetics and people with hyperinsulinemia have
challenges and concerns that someone with normal glucose response isn't
going to have. I fully understand that we're not on the same page,
diet-wise, and I'm glad LC works well for you.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie