"Fujispree"?

Old September 2nd 04, 05:06 PM
the black rose

Default "Fujispree"?

A friend of mine offered me her old road bike for our youngest son, who
has outgrown his old bike but is growing SO fast right now (he's 13)
that we've been reluctant to buy a new one that'll only be good for a
year or two.

It's a Fuji. "Fujispree" is written on the downtube. I didn't get a
real good look at it in the dim basement, so I can't answer any detailed
questions. The tires are shot; I'm betting the cables need replacing;
it's got downtube shifters; it's got suicide brakes (those GOTTA go --
we're talking a reckless 13-yr-old here); it's covered in cobwebs; it's
been sitting down there for about 9 years. She thinks she bought it
about 14 years ago. I *think* it could be a steel frame, but I'm not sure.

I googled "Fujispree" on the rec.bicycles.* groups and came up empty. I
went to the Fuji website and search came up ditto. If I hadn't seen it
with my own eyes, I'd start doubting it exists, hehe.

So my questions a
1) Has anybody ever heard of a "Fujispree" or know anything about it or
know where to look for info?
2) How much is it likely to cost to fix it up, worst case and best case
scenario?

Any feedback appreciated.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old September 2nd 04, 05:20 PM
Ken

the black rose wrote in news:zyHZc.52873
:
So my questions a
1) Has anybody ever heard of a "Fujispree" or know anything about it or
know where to look for info?
2) How much is it likely to cost to fix it up, worst case and best case
scenario?

I've never heard of that model. For vintage low end bikes in general,
however, they aren't worth paying someone to overhaul. If you can do the
work yourself with surplus parts, great. Paying someone to use new parts
will cost more than the value of the bike.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:29 PM
Beverly

"the black rose" wrote in message
[...]

Would it have been Fuji Espree? Do a search and you can find some of them.

http://bessasandackerman.com/px/?album=fujimixte

Old September 2nd 04, 05:29 PM
Paul Bauer

At the very least you are probably looking at:
new tires
new tubes
new rim stips
new cables
new cable housings
new brake pads
new handle bar tape

you should probably have an "overhaul" done on it
which is taking apart the bike, cleaning the parts, relubing the parts,
replacing any parts that need it, put it all back together,and adjusting it
properly.
you may also need the wheels trued which may or may not be included in the
overhaul price.
around here an overhaul is about $200

hope this helps,
paul

Old September 2nd 04, 09:37 PM
the black rose

Beverly wrote:
"the black rose" wrote in message

--snip--
It's a Fuji. "Fujispree" is written on the downtube.

--snip--

Would it have been Fuji Espree? Do a search and you can find some of them.

http://bessasandackerman.com/px/?album=fujimixte

No, that's not it -- this one has a drop handlebar and typical road bike
geometry. Thanks though; you found more than I did.

I don't know how cheap Fuji went, or how low quality this bike might be.
If all else fails, I guess I could use it as a learning experience on
how to overhaul a road bike. I may actually end up looking for parts on
Ebay or something. (Would you believe, I've never looked for anything
on Ebay?)

I've got _Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance_, would anybody know
if that's good enough to go on?

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old September 2nd 04, 09:45 PM
Beverly

Beverly wrote:
[...]

It might be this one. It has the dropped handle bars.

http://oldroads.com/pqdb_img.asp?p=f...spree&mak=Fuji