Muni tire pressure

Old November 9th 04, 11:35 PM
DigitalDave

Default Muni tire pressure

Whats your tire pressure ratio / to tube rating on your Muni ...?

I been meaning to ask this for awhile and never remember to do
so,.,...

When I watch the vids ,,, looks like the tire pressure is just enough
not to grind the rims ... ?
(just an observation)

This looks to give a better lift when hopping ...?

Do you typically adjust tire pressure to what your riding conditions
will be ...?

oh,,, and what does the infamous 'UPD' acronym translate too ...?

--
DigitalDave - scabless

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

Old November 9th 04, 11:43 PM
UNIquelyCanadian

UPD = Un-planned Dismount

The tire preasure depends upon the type of riding, width of tire and the
rider weight.

--
UNIquelyCanadian - Muni Rider
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old November 10th 04, 12:26 AM
Krashin'Kenny

UNIquelyCanadian wrote:
*UPD = Un-planned Dismount

The tire preasure depends upon the type of riding, width of tire and
the rider weight. *

A fairly good rule of thumb which works for all my Muni riding friends
with 24x3 tires down here is about 1 psi for each 10 pounds of body
weight .

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old November 10th 04, 12:28 AM
DigitalDave

thanks Kenny

that's a usefull answer

so, a 145lb rider has 14.5 psi,,, on a max psi tire rating of ...?
(for your 24x3)

Old November 10th 04, 12:38 AM
James_Potter

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*A fairly good rule of thumb which works for all my Muni riding
friends with 24x3 tires down here is about 1 psi for each 10 pounds of
body weight . *

That would amount to about 14 psi for me.... That seems a bit low,
doesn't it?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old November 10th 04, 12:39 AM
One on one

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*

A fairly good rule of thumb which works for all my Muni riding friends
with 24x3 tires down here is about 1 psi for each 10 pounds of body
weight . *

I hadn't heard that before, but it seems right for me. I'm around 150
and I ride at 15 PSI.

--
One on one - Hooked on fun fix

"I don't care who you are, that's funny!" Larry the Cable Guy
One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old November 10th 04, 01:21 AM
john_childs

The ideal tire pressure for muni depends on a lot of different factors.
It depends on rider weight, stiffness of the tire, what tire you're
using, how new the tire is, what tube you're using, what rim you're
using, your riding style, the terrain on the trail, how rocky and rooty
the trail is, and other factors. There is no set rule for tire pressure
that will hold for everyone for every situation.

I typically ride with something between 16 psi and 22 psi. It all
depends on the trail and whether I remember to check the pressure before
the ride.

The basic concern is that you want enough air in the tire to keep from
getting pinch flats. You also want enough air in the tire so the tire
doesn't fold over when doing side hops or when pecking up a hill.

Here's a set of guidelines or a heuristic to help in determining ideal
tire pressure. This is a list that I posted back in 2000 and has been
copied to the 'tips section of Muniac Manor'
(http://www.muniac.com/tips.htm#pressure)

1) Ride right into a root or a similar obstacle. Don't try to hop over
it, just ride right into it and try to roll over it. If the wheel
bounces back instead of rolling over the root consider lowering the tire
pressure. If you lose traction on the root consider lowering the tire
pressure.

2) Side hop up a hill. If the tire folds over increase the tire
pressure. Wider rims also help prevent the tire from folding over. Tires
with stiffer sidewalls (like the Intense DH tires) are less likely to
fold over than tires with softer sidewalls.

3) Hop and jump on a log or similar obstacle perpendicular to its length
(the length of the log will be to your left and right). Pick a log that
is about 6" or less in diameter. A parking lot divider will also work.
If the tire bottoms out then increase the tire pressure.

4) If you get pitched off the MUni during a ride because the tire
bounced backwards (or upwards) after hitting an obstacle instead of
rolling over the obstacle consider lowering the tire pressure.

5) If you are going to be riding on fire roads or other similar "easy"
trails consider increasing the tire pressure to decrease rolling
resistance.

6) If you lose traction during a ride consider lowering the tire
pressure.

7) If you ever get a pinch flat consider increasing the tire pressure.
Also look for a thicker tube like the Intense DH tubes.

In the end it all depends on the rider, the terrain, and the style of
riding. The pressure that works for me may not be the pressure that
works for you.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old November 10th 04, 01:28 AM
onetrack

John,
You should write a book.

--
onetrack - street terrorist

There are no stupid questions?
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old November 10th 04, 01:59 AM
daino149

I think that should go into unicycle.2ya.com

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
Seatpost and rail adapter
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Old November 10th 04, 02:30 AM
forrestunifreak

So do i.

--
forrestunifreak - You can agree with me,or be wrong.

"Old enough to know better,young enough not to care."

"You cant take it with you,so unicycle now."

"I dont suffer from insanity.
I love every minute of it."
-Me.