IMBA Signs Breakthrough Agreement with National Park Service

Old May 2nd 05, 07:14 PM
GaryG

Default IMBA Signs Breakthrough Agreement with National Park Service

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas..._nps_imba.html

For Immediate Release
05-02-05

If you've ever tried to enjoy a National Park by mountain bike, chances are
you've been disappointed. With some notable exceptions, America's premier
park system is closed to off-road riding.
That's going to change with a new five-year agreement just signed by the
International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) and the National Park
Service. For the first time, National Park Service leaders in Washington,
D.C., have formally recognized mountain biking as a positive activity,
compatible with the values of our National Park system.

A benefit to millions of bicyclists is the potential opportunity for new
access to hundreds of dirt roads in National Park units that have been
closed to bicycling. While National Park Service rules require a lengthy
process to open singletrack to bicycle use, appropriate dirt roads may be
opened with a more straightforward administrative process.

"This agreement represents a true breakthrough for mountain biking," said
IMBA Executive Director Mike Van Abel. "It opens the door for individual
park units to partner with mountain bikers and investigate new riding
opportunities on a case-by-case basis."

"The National Park Service is committed to increasing public awareness of
outdoor recreational opportunities in the national park system that promote
health and fitness," said Karen Taylor-Goodrich, the Associate Director for
Visitor and Resource Protection."And mountain bicycling in authorized areas
can be an excellent way to enjoy America's outdoor heritage in a manner that
is compatible with resource protection."

As part of the agreement, IMBA and the Park Service will initially partner
on two pilot projects to be selected later this year. The projects will
bring mountain bikers and park officials together for on-the-ground teamwork
and serve as models for future collaboration.

Additionally, IMBA will provide technical and volunteer assistance to
National Park units that are interested in improving their off-road cycling
opportunities. IMBA programs such as the National Mountain Bike Patrol,
Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew and the IMBA club network can now apply their
stewardship skills to our National Parks.

Mountain biking can be a solution to many challenges facing National Parks
today. Bicycling gets people out of their cars; away from congested roads,
parking lots and trailheads; and out into the fresh air. Mountain biking can
also encourage more active exploration of parks and counter the societal
trend toward obesity.

So what does the future hold? While mountain bikers shouldn't expect a
revolution of new singletrack in National Parks, the partnership signals an
encouraging direction for the future. With enhanced communication and
cooperation between IMBA and the National Park Service, mountain bikers can
anticipate that cycling opportunities in National Park units will continue
to improve.

The National Park Service manages 384 parks, monuments, battlefields,
buildings and recreation areas and more than 80 million acres of U.S. public
land. In 2004, National Parks hosted more than 276 million visitors.

In 2002, IMBA formed a partnership with the Rivers, Trails & Conservation
Assistance program of the National Park Service. Rivers & Trails helps
communities build trail and greenway systems, restore rivers and wildlife
habitat, and preserve open space. Their work largely focuses on urban and
suburban locations, where demand for trail networks is the greatest.

Visit IMBA's National Park Service Resource Page for the text of the
agreement, speaking points, NPS parks with great riding, and other
resources.

Old May 2nd 05, 07:21 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:14:10 -0700, "GaryG"
wrote in message :

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas..._nps_imba.html

I trust you have sent Mike Vandeman a big "thank you" for all the work
he has done on behalf of mountain bikers, gaining them support by his
constant bigotry. I have no doubt that many will have been drawn to
the mountain bikers' cause by Vandeman's campaign.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 2nd 05, 07:30 PM
GaryG

wrote in message :

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releas..._nps_imba.html

I trust you have sent Mike Vandeman a big "thank you" for all the work
he has done on behalf of mountain bikers, gaining them support by his
constant bigotry. I have no doubt that many will have been drawn to
the mountain bikers' cause by Vandeman's campaign.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

LOL - I can envision him having an apoplectic fit when he reads that, but
who knows?

Like many trolls, I suspect he secretly relishes the attention (I doubt he
gets much in the real world).

GG

Old May 2nd 05, 07:33 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:30:32 -0700, "GaryG"
wrote in message :

Like many trolls, I suspect he secretly relishes the attention (I doubt he
gets much in the real world).

I think that, like the bear said, he "ain't here for the hunting at
all" ;-)

Old May 2nd 05, 07:33 PM
Gary Fisher

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
:
I trust you have sent Mike Vandeman a big "thank you" for all the work
he has done on behalf of mountain bikers, gaining them support by his
constant bigotry. I have no doubt that many will have been drawn to
the mountain bikers' cause by Vandeman's campaign.

Definately. By portraying all anti-bicycle groups as raving lunatics,
Vandeman has certainly promoted bicycle access, recreation, and
transportation causes.