To grease, or not to grease? - Seatpost

Old June 17th 05, 04:19 PM
Leon

Default To grease, or not to grease? - Seatpost

I am going to replace a 27,2 mm carbon seatpost with 31,6 mm carbon
seatpost. The new seat post will be mounted directly to aluminum seat tube
without any shims.

Please, tell me should I grease a carbon seatpost or not? May be a dry
Teflon spray is a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Old June 17th 05, 05:15 PM
Lee

"Leon" wrote in message
I am going to replace a 27,2 mm carbon seatpost with 31,6 mm carbon
seatpost. The new seat post will be mounted directly to aluminum seat tube
without any shims.

Please, tell me should I grease a carbon seatpost or not? May be a dry
Teflon spray is a better solution?

Leon,

Do a web search on this topic and you'll find the answer running about 99/1
against greasing.

Two reasons to grease a seatpost - to minimize galvanic reaction between the
post and the seat tube (not relevant here) and to make it easier to install.

Have you tried installing the seatpost without grease?

Have you cleaned the post carefully? Have you cleaned the seattube and
checked for burrs?

Some installation guides actually suggest that you rough up the seatpost a
bit so you get a better grip - the opposite of what greasing would do.

Lee

Old June 17th 05, 06:26 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am going to replace a 27,2 mm carbon seatpost with 31,6 mm carbon
seatpost. The new seat post will be mounted directly to aluminum seat tube
without any shims.

Please, tell me should I grease a carbon seatpost or not? May be a dry
Teflon spray is a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Do not grease, unless you desire a crushed seatpost. Greasing a carbon post
will require more force to hold it in place, and you don't want anything
more than the absolute minimum required amount of clamping pressure. I have
seen many crushed carbon seatposts, from many different manufacturers. Do
not grease.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 17th 05, 11:01 PM
Leon

Thank you!

I am not going to grease the seatpost.

Old June 18th 05, 12:22 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:19:31 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

Please, tell me should I grease a carbon seatpost or not?

Not.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

grease with carbon seatpost [email protected] Techniques 6 February 17th 05 08:40 PM
BICYCLE grease [email protected] Techniques 2 February 16th 05 01:58 PM
new chain grease g.daniels Techniques 22 September 3rd 04 03:19 AM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM