Cleaning

Old July 12th 05, 04:54 AM
Aidaeolin

Default Cleaning

I just took my uni on my first muni ride and there was mud everywhere.
Now I'm home and my uni is covered in mud. I have a '05 KH/Onza hub and
crankset w/ Wellgo pedals. I took the frame off and wiped down the
outside of the bearings. Tons of mud came off but a lot off grease came
off with it. Should I grease up the bearings? Is there more I should do
to the bearings? Are there other parts of my uni that I should clean?

--
Aidaeolin
Aidaeolin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10354

Old July 12th 05, 05:59 AM
U-Turn

Unless your bearings feel gritty or won't turn, just wipe everything
down, put a little grease on the metal surfaces of the bearings to
counteract rust, put it back together, and go ride!

The main thing about a MUni is to get it dirty and have fun doing it.
Bearings are cheap and easy to replace.

When I was riding off-road a lot I was always too tired afterwards to do
a lot of uni cleaning. That's probably the ideal situation

--
U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old July 12th 05, 09:20 AM
john_childs

I just use a utility brush to brush off the mud. Then I let what is
left dry and then go over it with the brush again. Don't get too fussy
about getting all the dirt off. I just get enough of the mud off so it
doesn't make a mess in my car and then get enough of the dried mud off
so it doesn't make a mess at home.

Don't wash it with a power sprayer. You'll get water forced into places
where it shouldn't be and you'll wash away grease. Don't bother with
washing it off with a low pressure hose either, no need. Just brush off
the mud.

If you were just wiping the exterior and some grease came off then
that's fine. Probably just grease that had oozed out during assembly.
If you're taking things apart and wiping away grease then you're
probably wiping away grease that is supposed to be there.

A dirty muni is a happy muni.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old July 12th 05, 09:37 AM
Catboy

If you ever ride through alot of water, or in the snow/rain, rinse your
muni off in the shower to prevent rust. then just lighty pat it down
with a towel.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

'UPD T-Shirts FOR SALE SOON!!! (Click Me)'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)