Replies: 18
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
FFS - it's only August!

On 2010-08-20, snogfest wrote:

When I was visiting Oz (Brisbane) someone told me that's why cyclists
have cable ties through their helmets ?

Yes. It stops all...
Forum: Australia August 13th 10, 08:27 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 18
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
FFS - it's only August!

On 2010-08-12, thefathippy wrote:
...yet I was swooped by a magpie today.

I've been getting regularly swooped for a couple of weeks now, on the
way home from work. That...
Forum: Australia April 28th 10, 06:49 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 18
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
looking for a bike

On 2010-04-28, terryc wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 03:43:27 +0000, Peter wrote:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6"...
Forum: Australia January 7th 10, 09:54 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 20
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
General discussion on various bikes

On 2010-01-06, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
Seee http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html for diagrams
and explanations about motorcycle suspension. Doesn't talk about...
Forum: Australia December 17th 09, 10:07 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 2
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Large print computers

On 2009-12-16, Peter wrote:
Has anyone come across a sub-$150 computer with an easy to read display?

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't see as well as I used...
Forum: Australia December 7th 09, 09:42 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 4
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
blue moon

On 2009-12-05, Peter wrote:
Saturday 30 January 2010
Find a body of water within striking distance with a good view of the
rising sun or setting moon. Start at...
Forum: Australia November 14th 09, 09:53 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 4
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Transportable road bike

On 2009-11-12, Patrick Keogh wrote:
HI all,

I'm looking to put together a more transportable road bike. I want to

What city? Cheeky Transport in Sydney and Epic Cycles...
Forum: General November 7th 09, 07:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Belt drive bikes?

On 2009-11-06, wrote:
Hello,

The bike in this video[www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/]
has a belt drive.

This belt drive is completely...
Forum: General October 10th 09, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Replies: 2
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Best bicycle books?

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]
On 2009-10-08, mac wrote:
"The Third Policeman", Flann O'Brien.

The atomic theory of bicycles, a bicycle of a peculiar...
Forum: Australia September 29th 09, 06:43 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 10
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Maggie at Woodford

On 2009-09-25, John Pitts (aka Bruce)
On 2009-09-24, Tony F...
Forum: Australia September 25th 09, 08:43 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 10
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Maggie at Woodford

On 2009-09-24, Tony F wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:06Â*pm, "Ken & Stace" wrote:
For those doing the Oaks Firetrail (Woodford to Glenbrook), There is a
Forum: General August 15th 09, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 11
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
MTB bar length criteria?

On 2009-08-14, DaveC wrote:
I'm large (5-11"; 210 lbs) and am re-building a mtb (GT Zaskar), including
replacing the forks, stem, & bar.

What should I be considering...
Forum: General June 22nd 09, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 39
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
"news" from Chicago

On 2009-06-22, Tom Keats wrote:
I'm almost willing to bet I'm the only person in the world
who wrote the word: "aspidastra" online today. I probably
misspelt it. The...
Forum: General May 10th 09, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Push bike

On 2009-05-09, Andrew Price wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2009 21:28:09 +0100, Nick Spalding
wrote:

Push bike...
Forum: Australia November 6th 08, 02:09 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 5
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
rain commuting - cheap plastic pants?

On 2008-11-05, Judoman wrote:
I commute 30 minutes, sometimes it rains. I'm not sure whether I want
to just ride in clothes that can get soaked, and I'll change at
work...
Forum: Australia October 24th 08, 11:10 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
I broke a rear axle.

On 2008-10-10, Thomas Houseman wrote:
No idea how... I was riding along and suddenly thought my brakes were
playing up/rubbing.
After further...
Forum: Australia October 19th 08, 09:34 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Squeaky SPD pedals

On 2008-10-17, OzCableguy wrote:
WD's probably not the best. It'll do as a quick fix but it won't last long.
It's more for penetrating rusted bolts etc and not...
Forum: Australia October 13th 08, 12:37 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Squeaky SPD pedals

On 2008-10-13, meno wrote:

"Davo" wrote in message ...
theo wrote:
On Oct 13, 8:27 am, Davo ...
Forum: General October 11th 08, 09:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 36
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
3 Punctures in 3 Consecutive Days?

On 2008-10-10, Artemisia wrote:
How can this be happening? Widdershins, my beautiful recumbent trike,
has suffered three punctures on three consecutive riding days.

As others...
Forum: Australia October 11th 08, 09:16 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Squeaky SPD pedals

My SPD pedals have become squeaky lately. It's intermittent, but seems
to happen more when I'm climbing. Can happen in either or both pedals.

I don't think the problem is the pedals themselves, I...
Forum: Australia August 10th 08, 06:23 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 7
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
open season

On 2008-08-09, ray wrote:
Surprised no-one else has bothered this year, but I usually note the
date when the bombing season starts, and today one had a go at me just...
Forum: Australia July 27th 08, 07:30 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 14
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Petition to let cyclists ride on footpaths in NSW

On 2008-07-27, wrote:

I don't think this is a good idea, it's called a footpath for a
reason. Also in some US states where it is legal for...
Forum: Australia June 27th 08, 11:55 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 32
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Rejected!

On 2008-06-26, BT Humble wrote:
BT Humble wrote:
It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters...
Forum: Australia June 20th 08, 02:05 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 3
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
send this to your non-cycling friends

On 2008-06-20, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/06/get-over-it-surmounting-obstacles-to.html

An excellent piece to give to people who are sorta...
Forum: Australia June 4th 08, 08:45 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 13
Posted By John Pitts[_2_]
Cyclists saving Govt 200m in health costs: report

On 2008-06-04, ken wrote:
I'm afraid this is nonsense. I'm all in favour a promotion of cycling
but I don't think that implausible arguments like this help.

Which arguments do...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 102