Showing results 1 to 25 of 131
Search took 0.25 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: gerblefranklin
Forum: Unicycling January 13th 09, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Titanium Hub?

Jerrick;1169569 wrote:
I have some tungsten bars laying around in the garage. Ill make a frame
with it! haha.

I heard about it years ago, so it isnt that new is it?

you know, you could...
Forum: Unicycling January 13th 09, 10:41 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 85
Posted By gerblefranklin
A warning on pipe-cutters

For the record, I believe bike shops recommend against using pipe
cutters because seatposts such as the thomson with non-round insides can
be damaged and poorly cutoff with the use of a pipe cutter....
Forum: Unicycling January 13th 09, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 85
Posted By gerblefranklin
A warning on pipe-cutters

This is silly. Really. Next time, before you insert the seatpost, put it
on a flat table an look at it. You will easily be able to tell if it's
flared. If it is, file it until it is not. Even better,...
Forum: Unicycling January 13th 09, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Titanium Hub?

So, since we're so obsessed with materials here, I thought I'd mention a
new product. For those out there who can't stop breaking hubs, cranks,
and pedals, I'm making a solid tungsten drivetrain for...
Forum: Unicycling January 12th 09, 04:29 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Titanium Hub?

The amount of misinformation in the cycling/RC anything/Motosports
communities is ridiculous. Any thread like this is a fine example.

pedrotejada,
Titanium is NOT rigid. It has a significantly lower...
Forum: Unicycling January 11th 09, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Titanium Hub?

For the record, titanium is weaker than steel, and unless there is
something funny about the heat-treatment process on the hubs, the ti hub
should be weaker than the steel hub (possibly by a...
Forum: Unicycling January 5th 09, 06:17 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 66
Posted By gerblefranklin
need hill climbing advice

Regarding the physics, you are also ignoring that the dead spot is not
truly dead. Many riders learn to articulate their ankles and pull their
feet in a manner similar to wiping your shoes on a...
Forum: Unicycling January 4th 09, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 69
Posted By gerblefranklin
Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

maestro8;1161434 wrote:
The objects you mentioned are things that should not be bending. Do you
really want to be in a helicopter whose blades are made of a material
that "loves to bend"?
Forum: Unicycling January 4th 09, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 5
Posted By gerblefranklin
San Francisco Bay Riders?

Where in the bay area? I live in SF proper, and do lots of technical
muni and some trials when I get tired of the muni. There are lots of
short muni and good trials in SF, and then tons of great muni...
Forum: Unicycling January 2nd 09, 09:05 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 81
Posted By gerblefranklin
Best Photos of 2008

Tom, I think I like the photo of Karl the best, although I really like
the colors and scenery of the RTL photo. It reminds me of some quirky
event held on some imaginary English countryside. Also, I...
Forum: Unicycling October 13th 08, 04:48 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By gerblefranklin
What's YOUR static jump technique

Practicing static hops will do nothing to improve your jumps with
prehop. Give up on that now.

With that out of the way, it's not bad to avoid being beholden to
prehops, but you have to practice...
Forum: Unicycling February 13th 08, 06:06 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By gerblefranklin
Aluminium alloys...

whoops, kiloNewtons/MILLImeter

--
gerblefranklin

(Shut up and ride)

Forum: Unicycling February 13th 08, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 13
Posted By gerblefranklin
Aluminium alloys...

I think Kris's choice of frame material is a good one. There is no need
to increase price for a mild, if negligible improvement in performance.

I do however believe fatigue life is an important...
Forum: Unicycling February 13th 08, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 114
Posted By gerblefranklin
Holy Grail of Suspension unicycles. HA! EUREKA!

No, nature is the master, math is that master's language, and engineers
are tools...

(Is it obvious I'm a double physics+math major?)

Harper already pointed out the issue of out of plane...
Forum: Unicycling February 9th 08, 05:09 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 114
Posted By gerblefranklin
Holy Grail of Suspension unicycles. HA! EUREKA!

With no sarcasm, i have to say, that's a really impressive idea. I can't
say I like your "technical drawings", but whatever. Mine weren't any
better at 14.

A couple of details: I don't think this...
Forum: Unicycling January 28th 08, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 12
Posted By gerblefranklin
wat size cranks should i get for muni/trials

Whoops. You're right. Sorry Miles.

--
gerblefranklin

(Shut up and ride)

Forum: Unicycling January 28th 08, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 12
Posted By gerblefranklin
wat size cranks should i get for muni/trials

Mornish, what you said is slightly misleading. You do not do fewer pedal
strokes with 150s, your foot simply travels a shorter linear distance
per pedal stroke. The only ways to change the number of...
Forum: Unicycling January 9th 08, 11:20 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 139
Posted By gerblefranklin
**Highjump Competition**

Spoonthumb, I was jumping 90+cm when I was 5'6". I'm now ~5'8", and I
think my record has only gone up to maybe 95cm (any idea how high the
concrete thing at the Santa Cruz jetty is?).

I'm...
Forum: Unicycling December 19th 07, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Custom hubs

kerosian, as you get farther into metalwork, you'll quickly find you can
make parts custom for far less money than the market price of them.
Soon though, you'll notice you don't have time to make all...
Forum: Unicycling December 19th 07, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 4
Posted By gerblefranklin
Nortstar At Tahoe 07/08

maestro8 wrote:
Let me add to that guarantee. I'll buy a six-pack for anyone who can
roll STD as it should be ridden (not like a trials course).

Does that count retroactively?

(I'll...
Forum: Unicycling November 30th 07, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Custom hubs

In defense of Kerosian, hand-sketching of blueprints is something I've
mentioned to a number of shops during job applications, and many of the
owners have been impressed by the idea that anyone our...
Forum: Unicycling November 29th 07, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Custom hubs

A-ha. Sounds good. Manual is more fun, but lately I've been getting into
some more cnc, and it does open some doors. Ever tried doing something
like an impeller vane or compressor blade for a turbine...
Forum: Unicycling November 28th 07, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 30
Posted By gerblefranklin
Custom hubs

Good luck with that. I hope you've done a bunch of machine work already,
because things like ISIS splines aren't easy to make, let alone the
tediousness of milling hub parts. If you're using a manual...
Forum: Unicycling November 27th 07, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 68
Posted By gerblefranklin
The Best MUNI riders ??

Unicaw89 wrote:
Well anyone who can keep up with me on tech dh is doin pretty good =p
lol.

I seem to remember you at the middle to back of the pack on the muni
race at CMW? :-P Yes, there...
Forum: Unicycling November 20th 07, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Replies: 17
Posted By gerblefranklin
Carbon Base and Thomson Seatpost

Zack, Ryan, and I all did this. The way I did mine was I took the bottom
plate of the thomson rail holder and sanded it until it fit the
contours of the cf base. Then I drilled for the two bolt...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 131