Old October 13th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

Default There ARE more adults riding bikes

"PatTX" wrote in message

:: "PatTX" wrote
::: I just wish they'd get off of the sidewalks!
::
:: Leave them be. It takes time to get used to riding. Don't expect
:: them take to the streets on the first ride.

Oh, I haven't said anything to them about that, but I do wonder if they
will have a second time...after all, it's tough to ride with your chin
getting hit by your knee each time it comes up, not to mention grinding it
out in a high gear. I saw a woman yesterday that fit that description,
and as I went by, I said to her "Put it in a lower gear." (in a nice way).
I didn't get all of her answer, but most of it was "I can do that?"

I just noticed that all of the people I see riding the sidewalks are
adults in their 40's and above. None have mirrors, either.

Well, when I started riding I rode down a main thorough fair to get to the
parking lots. Then I would ride loops in the parking lots. Then back to the
side walk to ride the wrong way to get back home.

Then one day I learned that one of my neighbors was a long-time cyclist.
So, he took me out on my first road ride. I just followed him and did what
he did. I found it was basically a matter of driving a bike like driving a
car. That's what got me over my fear of riding on the road.

BTW, this nieghbor just passed way two days ago due to cancer.