Old October 28th 04, 12:06 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| ...on Marblehead
|| OK, about three of my friends are telling me to go clipless recently.
|| Unfortunately, I still have these remnants of thinking of myself as
|| I was a year ago, out-of-shape, and not worthy (lol), and somewhat
|| st00pidly worried about falling over...as if... g
|| Yesterday, I'm looking down and realize once again, I've got the
|| straps on my left toe clip strap twisted and rubbing against the
|| crank, it's almost worn through the side of the strap.
|| In addition, last ride I'm inwardly griping b/c my left shoe has been
|| mis-positioned on the pedal (twisted to the side), and on the right
|| shoe, I'm rubbing the area of the shoe near the big toe on the side
|| against that crank, and mentally bitchin' about this rubbing and how
|| it's probably slowing me down.
|| This morning, I'm like, 'dude, time to go clipless, much?'. shaking
|| head
|| So I'm going to cinch down the toe clips to keep the foot on the
|| right part of the pedal for a couple days - I'm still riding them
|| loose.
|| This wknd I'm gonna drag myself to the LBS to get a pair of clipless
|| pedals and shoes and at least be able to try it out. I'll bring the
|| bike and ask the nice guys at Performance if they'll install them
|| for me. Would it be normal to ask they look at the 'float' and stuff
|| and help me get them adjusted, or is that too much to ask?

No....if you bought your bike there, certainly not.

I figure
|| if my knees start to complain, or I have some other problem with fit
|| I can always swap out back to the toeclips. I am a little worried
|| that the piriformis syndrome, which pulls my left knee out to the
|| side about 10 degrees out of the aero position (knees in), if I
|| don't concentrate, will torque on my foot/ankle if clipped in.

Hmmmm....I see. Maybe someone will be able to offer meaningful comments on
that, Badge.

As you know, I went clipless some time ago this year. As far as my road
bike is concerned, I'll never go back, though I am thinking of getting a
second bike that I can just hop on an ride in street clothes (like the
students on campus do).

Oh, expect to fall buddy! Just remember, you'll very likely fall when
you're barely moving, so it will hurt mainly your pride. As others here
told me, falling is a good motiviation to learn to clip out