Old March 17th 04, 06:15 AM
amirm

Default MTB shifting problems

Marky wrote:
Hi everyone, I need some help with my 2003 Giant Yukon MTB. A couple of
gears make noise while riding and this is after the second time I have
brought the bike back to get them correctly adjusted.
The problem occurs in the following situations: Largest chainwheel
on front, smallest cog on rear (top gear) Largest chainwheel on
front, largest cog on rear Largest chainwheel on front, second
largest cog on rear
Can anybody here post a clear guide to fixing my problem, I don't want
to go to the dealer again for this. I do have the owners manual but am
still unsure of exactly what I should/shouldn't touch with regards to
the specific problems I have. All gears shift fine (ie they do go into
gear) its just the noise factor that's very annoying.
Thank You.

Hi Marky:

Have a read, just for your reference. This is from Deore, but th
method is more or less the same among all models. Be aware that bot
are .pdf manuals

It's better to check the angle of front derailleur, its upper an
lower limit settings as well as making sure that the cage is in th
perfect shape

The front derail. on my brand new MTB had a rubbing problem that coul
not be fixed through all adjustment tricks. It turned out that the fron
bit of the cage's outer edge was slightly bent inside. A grip and
little muscle work made it perfect. :

Cheers, Amir

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/co...cling/customer
_support/service_diagrams/2004_mountain_sd.MainContentPar.0024.Schemati
c.0001.File.tmp/fc_m510_si.pd

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/co...cling/customer
_support/service_diagrams/2004_mountain_sd.MainContentPar.0024.Schemati
c.0002.File.tmp/rd_m510_si.pd

-