Old June 6th 05, 12:11 AM

Default Bike Lane vs Wide outside Lane - benefit to AUTOS?

Yes, I remember reading about studies that show having the extra line
actually makes cars pass *closer* to the cyclist. Again, as I noted in
my initial post, the line benefits not bikes, but rather *cars*. As
long as the cyclist is *not* hit nor endangered by a passing auto,
things are OK for the cyclist. To the car though, being able to
*easily* pass the bike w/o having to shift lanes or adjust position is
a bonus, hence the benefit to the *auto*, right? I mean, even with a
wide outside lane, the average auto shifts over or takes some sort of
evasive action to comfortably pass the cyclist. If the BL is wisely
built, the auto can safely pass w/o any special action on its part,
hence the auto benefits, right?

Later,
Nelson Chen