Old July 23rd 09, 03:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dave Clark

Default Face it: Drivers don't like you!

On Jul 22, 1:42*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Not that you can do much about it other than building BIKE FACILITIES
(bike lanes and bike paths), or letting cyclists TAKE THE LANE, but at
least you know the bone of contention is COMPETITION.

This interview has A LOT of valuable information about many other
issues (like legislation in different states or how we cyclists are
divided), so UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE...

One thing I'd like to remind the drivers is, "Yes, we can rescue you
from your cages!"

Nolo: One thing that may be a factor in some accidents is what you
refer to as a prevailing prejudice against cyclists by motorists. So,
could you talk a little bit about that?

Bob Mionske: Sure. I mean, I don’t think anybody that rides a bike
extensively will be surprised to learn that some people that drive
vehicles don’t like them -- don’t want to see them in the road -- and
I think that prejudice against cyclists stems from the competition for
the roadway. You have more people riding, and the motorists have to
adapt the way they drive. Even though bikes were here first, in the
eyes of the motorists in this motor crazy country, more and more bikes
on the road represents a threat for the space; it makes them uneasy,
angry, they have to drive slower, they have to look out for them --
this is really sociology.

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/Obje...44B1-9234C823C...

The 3 C's of successful monkeys... Communicate, Coordinate, Cooperate.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

This discussion needs to include reference to use of cell phones by
motorists. It was very recently disclosed that NHTSA research showed
clear distractions and impairment akin to driving under the influence
of alcohol to motorists using the devices, and I venture there are any
number of motorists hitting bicyclists because of such wrong-doing.
News reports also disclosed that NHTSA hid the research because they
were afraid of angering members of Congress.

Whatever political influence anyone has should be directed to an
outright ban on use of the phones -- not just hands-free -- while
driving a motor vehicle.

BTW, the organized motorcycle lobby agrees. Any use of cell phones
while driving a motor vehicle should be banned.

Dave