Old August 22nd 11, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,ba.bicycles
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Time to Ban Equestrians from Trails

"sms88" wrote in message
On 8/20/2011 7:52 PM, SMS wrote:

Why can't equestrians be forced to clean up after themselves? They
are
so inconsiderate of other trail users. Equestrians should buy land to
create their own trail system separate from self-powered hikers and
bicyclists that don't leave a huge mess behind.

We make dog owners clean up after themselves, and humans are trained
in proper etiquette for wilderness hygiene, but somehow we forgot
about other domesticated animals.

There are several horse diaper products on the market. It's time that
the state, county, and federal government require their use on public
lands.

http://www.equisan.com.au/
http://www.bunbag.com/

A reasonably-truthful argument can be made that horse poop is nowhere
near as foul, to the environment or senses, as that of dogs. Has to do
with the diet. Nevertheless, it remains a severe inconvenience to other
trail users, and is, at the very least, rude and uncaring. Equestrians
should be required to remove the excrement from the trail, period.
Simply shoveling it to the side is probably adequate in a non-urban
area.

Of course, unless the equestrian has eyes in the back of his or her
head, they don't know the horse has pooped, so the diaper product
becomes relevant.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com