Old July 1st 20, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 11:44:16 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

When I got home, I found the reason. The sole of the shoe is made of
normal rubber with high traction. But they searched far and wide to find
the hardest, lowest friction material available for the cleat cover. I
think it's made of black Teflon.

I hope EPDM rubber can be glued to it.

EPDM is very difficult to glue:
https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/bonding-epdm-industrial-adhesive/
The article suggests cyanoacrylate adhesives, which might work if you
don't flex the sole very much while riding. If the sole is as stiff
as you suggest, that might work. I don't have any experience using
structural adhesives (acrylic) and rubber.

One lesson I learned working with rubber is that the glue joint has to
be super clean before applying the glue. 91% alcohol was my favored
solvent, but if the materials were compatible, I used acetone. Also,
wear gloves as any skin oil transferred to the glue joint will ruin
it.

Instead of EPDM, maybe something lower tech, such as rubber gasket
material:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/faucet-and-faucet-repair/faucet-and-valve-packing/4218095
or neoprene sheets:
https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-rubber-sheet-gaskets/

However, neoprene adhesive is kinda expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-Neoprene-Performance-Adhesive/dp/B00QVILOQO
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Neoprene-High-Performance-Rubber-and-Gasket-Adhesive-1300/?N=5002385+3293241328&rt=rud
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Neoprene-High-Performance-Contact-Adhesive-EC-1357/?N=5002385+3292667546&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud
I think it's basically contact cement, so it might be worth trying
something cheaper such as Weldwood.

Also, you could try wire brushing or cutting grooves into the existing
soles to improve traction. That might need to be done anyway to
increase the surface area for gluing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D