Old August 17th 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Science

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 06:00:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I am interested as I need to have one ear "done". I assume that where
the transplant is made one has a swath of new skin with a seam all way
round but the donor site is what? A place where there isn't any skin
at all? Or do they pick a place where one has loose skin and simply
cut out a piece and sew the sides together rather like my wife "taking
in" a pair of my pants when I lost weight?

Best to ask your doctor -- it's done lots of ways.

I expected a thin spot like a burn with the blister removed, but I had
a row of stitches down the center, suggesting that he took the full
thickness. That makes sense, as the cancer had pretty deep roots by
the time I took it to him. One doesn't ask too many questions when
someone is whittling on one's chin, and all I was told ahead of time
was that he was going to take a piece of my chin to patch my nose
with.

I have read that sometimes a full-thickness graft is taken, then a
split thickness graft replaces the missing skin, and the donor site
for the split thickness graft heals up like a burn.

My graft wasn't sewn at all, but simply held in place with a dressing
-- and the tape worked loose and the dressing stood up, which caused
me much anxiety. Hence the severe limits on such strenuous activities
as lying in bed; nothing must disturb the graft while the blood
vessels are growing into it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net