Old June 12th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default HERE's how a bike accident story should be reported!

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE ****ING WRITING, IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE
DYING.

Well, I don't plan to defend myself again on this issue, but the one thing I
want to add is that I strongly believe the attitude perpetuated by the media
that cyclists are "the problem" is one of the contributing factors to the
disregard held by many drivers for cyclists. In the end, cyclists die and
drivers get to listen to all their friends and family try to make them feel
better with "Those damned bicycles...they should BAN them!" and "I was
driving one day when one of those f-ing guys on a bike tried to cross the
street and I almost hit him."

I believe that when the media gets more careful with how they report these
stories, at least SOME drivers will stop conveniently blaming all auto/bike
collisions on the bikers and they will start to watch the damned road more
carefully. Then, perhaps there won't be so many roadside memorial bouquets
all over the roads.

We're on the same page, Ricodjur. No need for all the f-bombs and caps.