Old April 16th 07, 12:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig

Default Cyclist dies after hitting car door

"beerwolf" wrote:

I've been pondering the long term potential for saving lives and
injuries, by changing car design standards to prevent doors being flung
open. I'd envisage a door opening in 2 stages - first a little push
could open it so there's a gap just big enough to see through.
Thereafter, the door would only move further with positive pressure at a
certain point far from the hinge, so your hand would have to travel with
the door. In similar mode to the spring-loaded doors you find leading to
stairwells. If this happened, we'd just about eliminate the problem over
time, I reckon.

Great idea! New Inventors for you, son, if you can run with it.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@