Old April 3rd 07, 04:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default 100 year old walked, biked, didn't own a car

Resound wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
cfsmtb wrote:

Peter Wrote:
Today's Mackay Daily Mercury reports on 100 year old Mandy Fanning's
birthday. Asked what her secret of longevity was, Mandy said ""I have
walked a lot in my life, though, I didn't drive a car and I only had a
bike when I was in my 20s."

http://tinyurl.com/29wvhp

Well there's a excellent example move or lose it.

Wonder what she was riding 80-70 years ago? Hartley? Malvern Star?
Speedwell? Local brand, ie: Blackbird?

My LBS has been operating continuously since the 1930s. On the wall
there is a poster for the King's Birthday 50 Mile Handicap, sponsored by
the local brand Fields cycles "for the Track or for the Road." There are
still a few Fields bikes floating around Mackay, although Malvern Stars
were pretty popular during that era. I have a great photo of Mackay's
main street in the 1940s where there are very few cars but hundreds of
bicycles parked in the centre of the roads. No traffic problems in those
days but just as many people travelling.

Dunno about the "just as many people travelling" bit. What was the
population of Mackay in the 1940s?

I mean in the main street. There are hundreds of bikes parked but today
there are hundreds of cars circulating at lunch time looking for parking
spots.