Old August 10th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

Default Pedal axle transplant - 9/16" to 1/2" (and 1/2" pedalrecommedations)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:11:55 +0000, Keiron wrote:

Is is largely possible to transplant a 9/16" with a half inch axle?
(i.e. Are axle cones and lengths reasonably standard between the 2
sizes, with just the threaded part differing)

I found this online:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-501811.html

but having never encountered this pedal I don't know if the process is
peculiar to this brand/model.

Any similar success stories?

Any 1/2" pedal recommendations? I don't want aggressive bmx platforms
but neither do I want flats with rubber coated platforms. The principal
stipulation is that they're 'big enough'.

I'm not familiar with platform pedals designed for bmx use.

The pedal in the article was described by Sheldon Brown: "The best known
platform pedal was the French Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" model 23, one of
the most elegantly designed bicycle parts ever." It's definitely worth
jumping hoops by cannibalizing other pedals to get a working pair of
these gems on one's road bike.

For more mundane models, I second Mr. landotter's advice to find a pedal
with the proper threading.

Stephen Bauman