Old July 7th 06, 02:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle,rec.bicycles.tech

Default the Shimano 10sp/9sp alloy freehub problem again - a solution!

jim beam wrote:
Bleve wrote:
Our local American Classic rep came in to the LBS on Wednesday, and
showed us some new lightweight clinchers, which in itself was of no
particular interest.

*but*

He also showed us some shims for their 9sp alloy freehub to make it
work properly with 10sp casettes to avoid dig in like this :

http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler.../DSCF6994.html

We pressed him to see if AC would sell the shims as spare parts, and
he'll get back to us on it. But, it may be a hack to get around the
current problem with 10sp Ultegra & Dura-Ace cassettes on 9sp alloy
freehubs.

a shim won't do it - it doesn't bear the torque load.

A steel shim might. I'm going to see if it'll work on my bontrager
wheel before I risk it on my good wheels