Old November 25th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
IUni

Default What do you wear when it starts getting cold?

I go back to my old MTB stuff. I used to ride to -30C and with
windchill much colder than that - not so much interested in that now.
Sunny, light wind, 0F is ok though.

Use layers!! Have a back up plan if you XC. Take a phone. Cotton - not
so good! If you going any distance away from a warm place, or risk
having to walk out, you will get really cold.

Any kind of ski/snowboard gear will probably work ok.

Bottom 1/2 - Cycle shorts, and today at ~10F just a pair of lycra pants
with fronts that have a windproof Goretex front. My 661 4x4's.

Thicker socks, but not too tight, and I use a really super thin pair,
then a medium weight wool pair.

When I used to MTB cycle with pedal cleats in cold weather, ie colder
the -20C or ~-10F, I would have a pair of neoprene overboots, and if
really cold I would use packing tape and tape the crushable type
handwarmer packs on my cycling shoes inside the overboots (the cold
still came through the cleats and the cut-outs in the bottom of the
overboots though).

For "cooler" weather, I would use a thin pair of fleece running
tights/pants under the lycra/goretex front pants.

Upper body - UnderArmour type under shirt, or similar, then a thin
wool or fleece, with a windbreak type jacket (goretex) that isn't too
baggy so that if I grab my seat, the jacket doesn't interfere.

Hands, right now the Bad Ass gloves are fine, but later maybe I'll wear
wrist guards with a gauntlet pair of snowboard/ski gloves (goretex with
liners).

I wear lyra/fleece headband, for my ears, under my helmet. If I think
I might lose a lot of head from my head, I use a "skull cap" similiar to
one under a football type helmet (ie UnderArmour brand or M.E.C brand,
super thin hat)

I noticed that the soles of my 5.10's were pretty hard today, and kind
of slick. I'm not sure how that is going to work out for colder
weather.

--
IUni