Old March 25th 07, 11:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Default rear view mirrors

wrote:
wondering about the wisdom of using rear view mirrors,
especially in city traffic.
I visited a couple of bike shops here in Adelaide and the sales staff
there didn't have too much positive to say about them, although they
stocked the type that attaches to the handle bar. One shop had
stocked
the helmet type several years ago, but had discontinued them
primarily
because they shook too much to be of any use.
Rec.Bicycles has a thread dealing specifically with the helmet types
and
opinion seems to be that they are an asset.
Asset or not, I rarely see rear view mirrors on bikes here in
Adelaide.

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest rear view mirror comes from your local dentist. Ask him for
half a dozen, he'll give them to you. On top of that, you need an
electrical connector, some glue, and an old spoke or similar piece of
rigid wire. Bend it around until you have a mounting that fits either a
pair of glasses (in my case) or onto a large clip on the helmet rim. The
aiming is important, it has to be right.
I've had mirrors of this type for 20+ years. The handlebar mounted types
can be prone to frame vibration, and also go smash if you drop the bike
on that side. The top mounted ones have the additional advantage that
you can move your head to scan the entire road. Get a mirror, whatever
type you prefer, and see stupid assholes in Urban Assault Vehicles
coming. I do.
Cheers,
Ray