Old January 12th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Default Titanium Hub?

Rowan;1169498 wrote:
I disagree- I think the main difference is the price. If you compare the
difference in price to the difference in weight you will find the price
increase far outweighs the weight savings of Ti vs Chromo.

Price is typically the first and most important thing a potential buyer
is concerned with. However in the cycling word, or any
hobby/passion/obsession/way-of-life there are plenty of potential buyers
who are not concerned with price. If there are two similar options on
the market the cheaper may be a bit more appealing. However, when
price(as we said) is not an issue for the buyer, then they must choose
between weight and strength. Usually the strongest option is (in this
argument) steel, and steel is heavy. The lighter option is aluminum, but
aluminum does not have the strength that steel does.

So your left choosing between a cheaper stronger material, or a lighter
weaker material.

If money is not an issue, as it is not for some of us, then why not
make the compromise of (almost) the strength of steel, and (almost) the
weight of aluminum.

Your argument for price only hold up if there were not already a
cheaper option.

P.S Hungry4Uni when you are talking cycling parts a 1/2 pound is a HUGE
amount.

--
agentQ

---