Old June 13th 21, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bikes and Riding

On 6/13/2021 1:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

There is NO PLACE on any of my rides where I don't have to be careful of auto traffic all of the moments of my ride.

BTW, although I've probably said this befo I think my area is
wonderful for riding. There's a bit of suburban hell with multi-lane
roads, shopping plazas etc. that isn't pleasant riding, but there are
ways around a lot of that. And the core city is old enough to have
mostly grid street patterns (as opposed to suburban spaghetti patterns)
making it easy to choose pleasant routes for utility riding.

For recreation, there's a dense network of former farm roads, literally
hundreds of them. To illustrate, one of our club's regular rides starts
and ends at a restaurant/bar, and the leader just picks roads at random
for two hours of riding. He told me he just makes up his mind as he
comes to each intersection. He has many dozens of choices, and has
rarely done exactly the same route.

If we want hills, we head south or east. If we want flatter terrain, we
head north or west. Except on highways the traffic is light once you're
a few miles out, and it's easy to avoid the highways if you like.

I really do feel lucky about all that.

--
- Frank Krygowski