Old June 14th 21, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Sheldon Brown site

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 01:45:30 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Using the Windoze 64 bit version (my Linux Mint box needs a storage
upgrade), I downloaded about 40MBytes of https://www.sheldonbrown.com.
I can see view web pages, so HTTrack seems to be working. However,
it's midnight, so I'll stop here and continue tomorrow.

When the dust settles please post how much space the site takes.
If it's not too outrageous I might snag a copy for myself if it
looks like the original is going away. .

I don't think it's going away. Most likely, it will be saved on
archive.org.

It just finished downloading.
1.95 GBytes, 17,286 files, 4,196 folders.

HTTrack Website Copier/3.49-2 mirror complete in 6 hours 50 minutes 38
seconds : 18809 links scanned, 16166 files written (1875466644 bytes
overall), 14349 files updated [1836872131 bytes received at 74554
bytes/sec], 1266047901 bytes transferred using HTTP compression in
13628 files, ratio 84%, 4.3 requests per connection
1032 errors, 3892 warnings, 0 messages. (mostly broken links)

See:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/sheldonbrown.com-files-and-sizes.jpg

I compressed everything into a 1.7GB zip file. Not much of a size
improvement.

The download included some offsite documents and images that HTTrack
picked up along the way. If you're going to try it yourself, you will
probably run into a download speed problem. I had 8 streams going,
but the web server limited me to an average of 250 Kbits/sec. That's
a good thing because it prevents evil downloaders like me from
monopolizing the server.

I don't want to pass around copies until I get permission from John
Allen and/or Harriet Fell. Today (June 13) is the closing day, and I
really don't want to bother them right now. My main concern is to
make sure nothing is lost and that's mostly accoplished (after I check
the download to make sure there's no corruption).

If you need screen dumps of the HTTrack settings that I used, bug me
and I'll throw something together.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272