Old July 18th 03, 12:30 AM
asqui

Default Steering (was Braking Technique)

S. Anderson wrote:
"Zelda" wrote in message
om...
Since you compare bicycles to motorcycles, I have a different
question:

I used to ride motorcycles, and tried amateur roadracing for a couple
of years. Last year, when I bought my first-ever good quality road
bicycle, I asked the staff at the bike shop if you use
countersteering
to go around fast corners on a bicycle, as you do on a motorcycle
(pushing the handlebar away from you). They didn't know what I was
talking about.

So, do you use countersteering on a road bicycle?

Thanks,
Zelda

I think the whole countsteer thing is a little over-done. EVERYONE
countersteers when riding a bicycle or motorcycle, whether they know
what it's called or what it's supposed to be. I don't think you can
initiate a turn on a bike at any kind of speed without
countersteering. Riding schools emphasize and encapsulate the idea
for students so they know the mechanism for initiating and
maintaining a turn, but everyone who rides does it whether they know
it or not. It's a lot easier to tip a bicycle in than a motorcycle
at each machine's normal operating speeds (say, 100kmh for a
motorcycle and 20kmh for a bicycle) so the countersteer is more
obvious on a motorcycle. You really have to push those clip-ons
around to get the thing to turn in. Much less force is required on a
bike, so it's probably harder for a bicyclist to recognize what's
going on, but the mechanism is the same. That's my take on it
anyways.

Cheers,

Scott..

What about leaning your weight? I have seen that other people can rather
competently steer a bike with their hands off the bars. Not through any
hairpins mind you.