Old July 11th 03, 06:43 AM
Amit

Default Promoter's Lament -- from Hamilton world's site

(Eric Hollenbeck) wrote in message

I can't help but wonder what happened to the $5-$7 entry fees of old.
Bob, you have been around longer than me, tell us how much you paid
for race entry back in "the day".... OK..now, HOW did THEY possibly do
it?

It can be done for a weekly "industrial park" training race where the
cost of insurance is amortized over the season and you don't have to
worry about road closures, categories, officials, reliable results
systems.

I never saw a single computer when I signed in at more than 200 races
there. They had someone typing and someone (No ****) using one of
those old hand crank presses..

this isn't Belgium, where can you find that much competent, reliable
and free labour ?

1. Find a place that serves affordable food and (alcohol) drinks
outdoors and is open in the afternoon
2. Tell them you want to have A (Yep just one , not 15 in a day) bike
race which starts and finishes in front of their establishment which
only will last 2-3 hours on a afternoon.
3. Tell them if they give you $1000 you will guarantee a return (not
to mention exposure and a chance to enhance the community)
4. Have the race pass the restaurant a minimum 10 times.
5. Have the sign-in and awards at the restaurant.
6. Find another restaurant in another community and start at step 2.

Sure you might not score with the first café? whoops, I mean
restaurant, you approach but eventually you will. Oh no, I've let the
long lost secret out of the bag.

Have you actually done this ? Or is this a wild dream ?

Sorry, I have no idea what your experience is with regard to
organizing races (you might be the best in the business for all I
know), but you sound awfully naive.

These things cost money:
-sanctions (incl. insurance)
-officials
-results
-permits
-road closures/police
-portable toilets
-cash prizes

some of these things you can't even buy (road closures) or ever hope
to afford
(cops).

plus you might need: drivers, marshals, registration people, manual
labour.

You can run an illegal, unsanctioned race on open roads, and do it
cheap, except you take on a huge risk, it might not be safe, and the
gov. body will shut you down (by suspending lic'd riders, ie. taking
away your customers) if they know about it.

PS. Can you get a sanction to run only one field ? Which cats will you
hang out to dry, women, juniors, masters ?