Old March 12th 07, 09:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Scott Blanch

Default Run over by a ute

There I was just riding along... actually I was stopped and waiting for
the traffic to clear a roundabout to turn right when I felt a bump from
behind. My first thought was that somebody I knew was trying to take the
**** out of me so I turned around but didn't recognize anybody I knew so
I assumed that the guy in the Home Hardware ute had maybe just rolled
forward a bit. As it was only a light love tap I didn't take much more
notice but rolled forward myself about a 1/2 metre for a bit of
clearance. When the traffic cleared and I was about to throw a boot into
the pedal the guy in the ute behind me drove on right over the top of
me. I was knocked off of course and the ute drove straight over the back
wheel/rear sub frame of my near new 06 Trek 1400. He looked like he was
going to keep on going but a lady pedestrian got his attention on the
other side of the road and he stopped and then ran back across the road
to render any assistance claiming that he didn't see me ...duh. I didn't
have any injuries apart from some slight gravel rash and bruising.
Admittedly we were facing due east and at 0700 the sun does shine
directly into the eyes and I wasn't wearing high viz clothing but a blue
wife-beater singlet and brown back pack so I guess I can accept some of
the blame. Although I am not sure if it would have made any difference
if I was wearing something more colorful. He has agreed to pay for
damages and the bike has been declared a write off by the LBS.
I can pick up a full CF Azzuri with 105 groupset for same price as a 07
Trek 1400 and for another $500.00 I can get Ultegra. Has anybody here
any experience with the Aus. made Azzzuri good / bad, indifferent? and
would I be better off paying the extra for the Ultegra seeing that I
mainly commute with the occasional weekend road ride about 120km per
week total?