Old April 4th 07, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj wrote:
Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains,

The trick with kero is to reuse it. you pour the waste into an old
plastic container and let it settle out. Next time you need to clean
your chain, you pour off the clean stuff on top. Repeat this cycle until
it is too oily, use for tar pot, firelighter, metal degreaser, etc

You use just a smidge/minimal new kero for the final wash.

I do not like using any petrol for the flammability problem and the skin
irritability.

In both case,
i can recommend barrier/sorbolene cream before you start and citrus
clear + sorbolene cream afterwards.

I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...

Let me know if you get a terrorist report filed. {:-)
Tell you need it for mowing the country homestead block.
No problem with 20L. Will be interesting when we do 60L in drum.

P.S. be very careful filling containers, make sure it is approved for
fuel, and do not try to crib that last little bit.