Old August 20th 03, 03:53 AM
Cigs

Default Comfort / Hybrid Choices

Hi all,

I posted this in the USA bit of these forums, but it looks like it might
be worth while posting here also, so here goes

I am looking at getting a new bike very soon, narrowed it down to a
choice of 3, wanted some opinions if you don't mind! I am not very
techincal at all, and I dont know if some parts are good and some are
bad. Right now I ride a MTB thats 12 years old!

Choice 1: Mongoose - Crossway 850
[IMG]http://www.mongoose.com/sa/uploads/images/bikes/49.14.INTLCrossway-
850.jpg[/IMG] Frame Material 7005 alloy trekking frame Fork
Material Rockshox GPS Merto Mag Headset 1 1/8" threaded, chrome
Shifters Alloy Adjustable stem Bars Steel high rise 30mm men/50mm
women Rear Brake Shimano M-420 V-Brakes Front Brake Shimano M-420
V-Brakes Brake Levers Shimano ST-510 Deore Front Derailleur Shimano
Deore Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shifters Shimano ST-510 Deore
Rapidfire+ Freewheel Shimano CS-HG50 9sp. cassette 11-32t Crankset
Suntour CR-410 HPC 48/38/28 wchainguard Chain KMC Z-9000 Pedals
Alloy body platform w/kraton rubber inserts Tires Hutchinson
Acrobat comfort 700 x 35 Rims Alex Adventurer double wall black
w/CNC sidewalls Hubs Shimano Deore 9 speed Seat Post Alloy
suspension Saddle Selle Royal Look In Gel

Choice 2: 2003 Giant PERIGEE
[IMH]http://www.biziworks.com.au/bikenow/downloads/2003_images/perigee.-
jpg[/IMG] Frame-FluidFormed 6061 ALUXX 700C Aluminium Fork-Cro-Mo 1
1/8’ Headset-Ahead 1 1/8’ Semi Sealed
J.Derailleur-Shimano Tiagra
K. Derailleur-Shimano Tiagra 9 Speed Crankset-Shimano Tiagra 30x42x52
Shifters-Shimano SL-R440 27 Speed Cassette-SRAM 12-26T 9 Speed
Chain-Shimano Tiagra
L.Bracket-Sealed Cartridge Hubs-Shimano Tiagra 32H Rims-Mavic MA-3 Alloy
700C 32H w/Eyelet Tyres-Michelin Transworld City 700 x 35
Brakes-Tektro TB07AL Alloy V-Brakes
M.Levers-Tektro TK394A Pedals-Shimano M505 SPD Clipless Stem-Titec Fast
Al 10 degree
N.Bar-Titec Enduro XC 6061 D/Butted Seat-Post-Post Modern Cushy Alloy
Suspension 27.2 Saddle- Velo VL-2036 Ozone Grips- Velo Kraton

Choice 3: Shogun Metro-GS
[NAA]http://www.shogunbicycles.com.au/images/metrogsjade.jpg[/IMG]
FRAME: Cr-Mo Main Tubing. FORK: Hi-Ten Steerer.& Cr-Mo Blades
COLOURS: Jade HANDLEBAR: MTB-153, Steel HANDLEBAR GRIPS: VLG-185D2
STEM: Alloy Adjustable HEAD PARTS: CS-568, 1-1/8" BB SET: Cartridge
FRONT DERAIL: Shimano Alivio REAR DERAIL: Shimano Alivio SHIFTERS:
Shimano Alivio 24 Speed FREEWHEEL: Shimano Cassette CHAINWHEEL:
Shimano Alivio CHAIN: KMC-Z51 PEDAL: Alloy Cage PP Body TYRES: 700
x 38C Black RIM: Araya Alloy, 700C FRONT HUB: Alloy 36H with Rubber
Caps with Q/R REAR HUB: Alloy Cassette, 36H with Rubber Caps with
Q/R SPOKES: 14G Stainless Steel SADDLE: Velo VL-289-D2 Double
Density SEAT POST: Alloy with Suspension SEAT PIN: Alloy Clamp, Q/R
Seat Pin BRAKES: Tektro Alloy V-Brake BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano Alivio

Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 -
100k's a week, mostly on road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a
little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots sticking out, and
a fair bit of gravel tracks.

I am happy to spend around AUD $1,000 - $1,300 on a new bike

Any help on the Pro's and Con's of these 3 bikes would be most welcome,
and if you know any other bikes that match up to these 3 that I should
consider that would be great!

Scott (Cigs)