Old May 27th 09, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James[_5_]

Default What to eat/drink on a 25 mile bike ride?

On May 27, 8:10*am, Brown Cat wrote:
I've started doing a weekly 25 mile bike ride. *The first time I went
that far I ate no food along and only drank water the way and felt
utterly exhausted.

I've found that I start feeling a bit fatigued about half way through and
I've taken to eating a Turkish Delight washed down with a bottle of
Lucozade which seems to give me a noticeable boost of energy.

What does everyone else do to keep their energy up on long rides?

Different people will have different definitions of long rides. I
recall eating a few jelly babies the one time I did a 50 mile time
trial, and had nothing on shorter ones. For 5h trailquests we used to
eat chunks of dried banana and sometimes bits of energy bar - the
latter can often be stuck to the top tube (unwrapped) in preparation
and grabbed on the move. For touring, assorted pastries and jam
sandwiches go down well IME. There's no problem with sugar-based food
so long as you graze rather than binge.

James