Old September 5th 03, 03:01 AM
Ken Fuchs

Default 56 inch big wheel with 4.5 inch cranks!?

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*-
Gearing: Based on Mikefule's wheel radius / crank length ratio, the
ratio of a 56" diameter wheel to 4.5" cranks is 28/4.5 = 6.22222...,
*

Mikefule wrote:

Crank to wheel radius ratio is how I normally do it.

e.g.
5 inch cranks on a 20 inch wheel
10 inch radius
5:10
5/10 = 0.5
0.5 = 50%
Which means the length of the cranks is 50% of the wheel radius.

So on your amazing machine of which I am most jealous:
4.5" cranks, 56 inch wheel
Radius = 28 inches
4.5:28
4.5/28 = 0.16
So the length of your cranks is approximately 1/6 the radius of the
wheel. Your ratio is 16%.

Thank you very much for the correction.

That makes the machine about twice as high in gearing as the standard
Coker (1:3).

The comparison would be 57mm cranks on a 28, or 40 mm cranks on a 20.

Sounds like an amazing machine. I once rode a penny farthing with a
similar wheel diameter, and it was truly memorable.

Thanks for your kind comments, Mikefule.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs