Old April 12th 04, 06:13 AM
Matt O'Toole

Default MTB pedals on a road bike?

rickn wrote:

Gents:
I just purchased a "like-New-1997-Bianchi-Veloce" on ebay for $380.00.
Italian made, steel frame, Campy equiped.
To me, this sounded like a good deal. Please tell me you agree.

On to my silly-question-of-the-day:
I will need to buy pedals for the bike.
I already own a pair of SPD-mountain bike shoes and I am cheap.
Will I be able to mount mountain bike pedals on this bike?
Is there any reason not to?
I would like to be able to swap the pedals from my road bike to
mountain bike as necessary. (However, I am not yet sure if the
crank-threads are the same from bike-to-bike.)

Yes, they are. Remember the left pedal is reverse-threaded, though. Make sure
you put the right pedal on the right side, so you don't strip the threads.

MTB pedals are fine. IMO they're better because they have clips on both sides.
Single sided road pedals are inconvenient, and usually more expensive. There's
no reason to bother with them unless you need one of the larger platform
designs. Most people don't.

I use the same MTB pedal on both my road and mountain bikes. When I bought my
road bike, I looked for another pair of my old Shimano SPDs on eBay. I paid $20
for some NOS, in a factory box w/ new cleats, and I couldn't be happier.

Matt O.