Old August 22nd 09, 03:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default COUCH POTATOES are happier than anyone else?

Originally Posted by spezi3
"As someone said earlier, the reason people are getting so fat in the
States (and Western Europe too) is that calories in are exceeding
calories out. In the town where I live in southeastern Germany, so
many people are out walking or cycling. When I was in the States
(southern California) visiting family last year, I never saw people
out walking. I also saw very few cyclists. What really surprised me
was the number of people riding on Rascal motorized scooters.
Everywhere I went there were people on Rascals, especially in places
where a lot of walking was required like amusement parks. Most of the
Rascal riders looked like their main problem was being obese.

IMO, it's a poor diet with too much fast and processed food coupled
with lack of exercise that's making Americans obese. It starts early
with cutting PE in the schools and giving the kids high fat school
lunches like chicken nuggets and fries. People are also eating too
many restaurant meals with their hidden fats, sugars, and calories.
There's also the perception for girls that exercise and sweating are
unfeminine. I know so many fellow women who are on the latest fad diet
who wouldn't be caught dead in the vicinity of a gym. These women
become models for their daughters to follow.

I feel like exercise keeps me young and can't imagine my life without
running, cycling, and skiing in the winter. My husband is also very
active with cycling, hiking, skiing, and weight training. We're doing
our best to be good role models for our son by demonstrating that
exercise is fun."

***

In this country the whole living philosophy is that COUCH POTATOES are
happier than anyone else. Even in driving you experience that: the
older cars with the sofa in front, the automatic transmission and now
all the gadgets.

Someone riding a bike is "struggling" or "hobo" and walking is
discouraged by barking dogs, denying sidewalks or making longer
distances impossible to walk.

Then the HAPPY CONSUMER (ie. the couch potato) spends the whole time
watching TV or going to the malls. And they lived happily ever
after.