Old August 8th 05, 10:11 AM
Jeremy Collins

Default Training Question: Pre-base Training

wrote:

I got back on the bike this year after a 12-year lay-off. Without much
of a mileage base or structured preparation of any kind, I've performed
OK in competition. I've decide to quit racing for the remainder of the
season and start thinking about next year.

Popular wisdom suggests that I should beging building my base in
November (for a May-September season).

How would readers suggest I use my time between now and then?

Between now and November? Get out and ride! Use a bike computer (and
HRM if you're really serious, but learn how to use it). Alternate
long rides at a steady pace with short (10-25 mile), fast rides.

The goal is to build up endurance, aerobic and anaerobic capacity.

The cycling equivalent of running's fartlek is a great workout, too.
Ride "normally" for a while, then go into a furious 20-30 second
sprint (up hill if you're feeling brave!). Then return to the normal
pace for a while, and repeat.

Make sure you rest properly between rides, and watch your nutrition,
too. (You do not want much excess body fat, and you might need to
increase your protein intake).

By coincidence I was reading an article about cycle race training
this weekend. Most of it is useless, but I'll link it anyway:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak33.htm

There are also lots of training articles here, if you poke around:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/

Finally, are you sure about not entering any events? Keeping yourself
motivated to train between now and next March with no external events
to spur you on will be tough.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email