Old May 21st 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Airborne

Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK. Titanium is a little troublesome so I will take it up to Chris Robinson since he's worked on it all. He was Andy Hampsten's Team 7-11 mechanic the year he won the Giro under those awful conditions. I sure as hell would have not wanted to be a team mechanic then. Bob Roll was given winter clothes for Andy at the BOTTOM of the climb and actually caught Andy at the top. That allowed Andy to make it to the finish when everyone else was dropping out.

I have aluminum bars and stem, all Centaur components and heavy Chinese Aero 50 mm wheels. It looks like the finished bike will be lighter than the Trek Emonda which was 17.5 lbs. even. There is plenty of clearance for 28 mm wheels and the steering head on the Profile Designs fork is aluminum 1" I might buy a new fork after awhile since those 1" Profile Design forks are still around NOS.

Airborne had their own headset made and it is still in perfect condition. Though it isn't as if the headset takes much in the way of loads.

I think that this will ride a great deal better than the Douglas Titanium. But that remains to be seen.