Old September 2nd 20, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Tomorrow is Saturday!

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 00:31:08 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I left the simulated push-ups out of my sciatica exercises this
evening.

Yesterday evening, when I got down on the floor, I noticed that
pushuplets didn't hurt, so I did them.

As soon as I rolled over, I realized that that was a mistake, and this
morning I knew that it was a big FAT mistake. I probably set the
healing back at least a week, and I had to skimp exercises that don't
even use the pectoralis major.

The finger is still swollen and off-color, but when I put E-oil on it
this afternoon, I was able to move my ring back and forth to get oil
under it.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened when I hit the post.

----------------

Tuesday, 1 September 2020

Today I rode to the teller machine, then to Sweet Corn Charlie, then
picked up a "pizza burger" to go at Flavor Freeze. Only disaster was
unshipping my chain so thoroughly that I had to get off and get my
fingers dirty -- and I was wearing light-gray knickers. (plus fours)
Luckily, they are very beat-up knickers that look natural with black
spots.

Also found myself behind a semi-trailer that was headed for the back
of the old Milnot cannery. McKinley Street is *not* wide enough for a
very large articulated lorry to make a right-angle turn while backing
up. The driver appeared to have done this before, and waited until he
could see that I was stopping *way* back before he started to reverse.
Came pretty close to a three-point turn. Would have been more
interesting if my pizza burger hadn't been getting cold.

I wonder how the guy who opened the door on the loading dock knew he
was there?

Back to the crash. Afterward, I found myself on my feet embracing the
post, and the bike was on its side at right angles to the trail, with
the seat toward me. I don't recall whether or not both feet were on
the same side of the top tube; I think both feet were close to the
post and the bike was at a slight distance.

I think that in grabbing for the post, I must have tried to put my
left hand through the gate; the injury to my ring finger is very
similar to the injury to my left pinkie that I incurred when I grabbed
for something on the printer without giving due attention to the
location of the rim around the monitor of my TRS-80 MOD II.

There will never be another daisy-wheel printer as well built as that
one was; I hated having to send it to the dump.

The red mark the pressure of my ring created appears to have healed,
the swelling is less, and the red areas have turned purple. I've been
rubbing the finger with E-oil.

Still no visible mark on the breastbone. This was definitely the
first point of impact. I think that what happened was that I leaned
to the left when I saw the hazard on the right, then (for a change)
the rider stopped and the bike didn't.

I guess that that is all I'll ever know about what happened; I should
hire someone to follow me around with a video camera. At least there
was a witness to the crash on Fort Wayne Street, who told me that I'd
turned my front wheel sharply to the right and steered the bike out
from under myself. I'd been approaching the stop light a bit more
slowly than is possible. (Also, I was verging on heat exhaustion.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net