Old November 14th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_7_]

Default Stepping up

Duane wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 12:49:35 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Two comments: When counting cog or sprocket teeth, it helps to have a
uniform procedure. I put a chalk mark on one tooth, then start counting
clockwise, with the _next_ tooth counted "One" - same as the face of a
clock. The tooth with chalk is the last one counted.

My problem was that there are assorted things between me and the teeth
-- enough things that I had difficulty counting the legs in the
spiders.

I don't recall ever knowing how many teeth were on the gears. I just
bought the smallest chainwheel and the largest cog that would fit. All
I remember was that I said "I suppose I'll have you put it back the
way it was when I build up some muscle" and the mechanic answered "No,
you'll climb steeper hills."

Ah, I've just remembered the name of the shop: The Down Tube on
Central Avenue in Albany, New York. I'd be much surprised if it is
still there.

I wonder what the name was of the shop that I used to patronize on the
Troy side of the river? All I remember is how steep and long the
Hoosik Street hill was. And the bridge that was very much not
designed for bicycles. Google Maps The Hoosik-Street bridge is
even more hair-raising than I remember it, but there is now another
bridge just south of it. DuckDuckGo says it has been there since
1981.

I bought my Bianchi Volpe from the Down Tube in 1990 or 91. But I think
it was on Madison. Not far from the tulips.

http://downtubebicycleworks.com

Looks like they’re still there.