Old August 3rd 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default Frank exchange of words with black cabbie New Topic Reply toTopic

P wrote on 03/08/2006 09:00 +0100:

And he's correct. He's wrong to force you to brake, of course - that's bad
observation / bad driving by him - but if he was given a clear lane (yes, I
know he didn't get one, because you were in it), then he doesn't need to
indicate. The rule of the road is to keep left. If a driver is in an
overtaking lane, he should move back to the left hand land when safe.

(When I took my advanced driving test, I was told off by the police class 1
driver in the passenger seat for indicating when moving into a left-hand
lane, and the above was his explanation.)

Can't agree with that. What is the problem with giving a signal? Worst
case is it's no use, best case it might help inform someone of your
intended actions. So there is no downside, only upside giving a median
of positive benefit and therefore worth doing.

Also the Highway Code says:

"Lane discipline

112: If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and check your
blind spots (the areas you are unable to see in the mirrors) to make
sure you will not force another driver or rider to swerve or slow down.
When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other
road users and when clear move over."

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci