Old August 23rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Rob Morley

Default Buying a new MTB

In article . com
Auz wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

You don't need a tourer to do that - any sports bike can be fitted with
a beam rack to carry a large rack pack or small panniers, or you can get
quite a lot in a good old-fashioned saddlebag (the Carradice sort, not a
wedge pack).

What do mean by sports bike? A road bike?

Indeed, but isn't a tourer also a road bike? I didn't use the term
"road racer" because I don't think that's really what you want in terms
of cost or performance - I suppose "training bike" might have been a
better label, but I've not seen many production bikes so described. So I
used "sports bike" as a description of a race-style machine with the
edge taken off - mudguard clearance, slightly gentler steering geometry,
cheaper than a competition machine ...

With the amount of holes in the road? I thought tourers were built a bit
stronger with wider wheels? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know much...

Touring bikes are built for a relaxed ride with a substantial load, so
they're slower and less nimble than sports bikes. Unless you're riding
over wheel-swallowing potholes a narrow high-pressure wheel should
survive as long as you keep the tyres at a suitable pressure, and a
lighter quicker-handling bike should make it easier to avoid potholes in
the first place. It really depends how energetic your commuting will be
whether you'll prefer the quick or comfy approach, but both styles of
bike should be up to the job. I was really just pointing out that you
needn't restrict your choice to a Galaxy type machine.